Menu

Body Ecology Diet.....

Hopefully Peela will chime in. I don't know that she's read that book in particular, but she eats in that style. I'm moving along that path too, in theory. (In practise we're all eating pasta and tinned veggies until dh finishes uni. *sigh*) It certainly sounds similar to where my research has directed me.

Rosie

I have the book and followed the diet for 4 months and did herbs. I felt like a completely different person afterward and I cured lifelong issues which were caused from antibiotics taken for UTI's. I had seen doctors for 10 years for troublesome symptoms and nobody helped but this diet cured me.

I know I need to do it again....... but I've been procrastinating for years.

When my bil was diagnosed with malignant melanoma, he and my sister began following this diet. He died about a year later (his original prognosis) and my sister lost 15-20 lbs and was constantly hungry. She found out last year that the stress combined with the diet may have brought on some syndrome that she was diagnosed with last year (I can't remember the name, sorry, but it's not serious). So in their case, I can't say that it did much.

My mil followed the diet for a while also, but it is just REALLY hard to follow. I have read the book and I don't think I could ever do it.

I dont have that book but i have seen it referred to glowingly in other circles. Having a brief look at the principles, I think they seem very sound.

I don't like to box myself into any diet rigidly unless I am doing a particular cleanse (have been doing a liver cleanse lately), and I have read widely and looked at many different diets (not for losing weight- for ultimate health). The Body Ecology diet seems a well balanced one to me. I love to play with cultured foods. I like to keep my sugar very low, although I do eat fruit and sometimes agave or a bit of honey. Healthy fats are a given and I changed them years ago. I have done the whole Nourishing Traditions thing, which is similar. I have been reading a lot about raw foods lately and experimenting with that. I like to play with these things.

Yes, I think it would address yeast issues, definitely.

I think you would only get healthier on it, particularly if you come from anything like a typical western diet. Whether you end up sticking to the principles rigidly, well, I think its always worth starting out following them strictly and then see how you go. It will do you no harm and probably lots of good.

I have the book and followed the diet for 4 months and did herbs. I felt like a completely different person afterward and I cured lifelong issues which were caused from antibiotics taken for UTI's. I had seen doctors for 10 years for troublesome symptoms and nobody helped but this diet cured me.

This is similar to my issue. I have had yeast infections since I was about 6. Sometimes I wont have them for months but then other times I will have them for months. The bad thing is dd 7 seems to have picked up on this particular issue also (all women on my mothers side have this issue). I feel horrible that she is dealing with it at such a young age!

Anyway I have been reading that cultured vegetables, kefir, and a few other things help to restore the probiotic and enzymes in your gut that will in time cure the yeast issue.

I am going in for my 4th and last c-section in Decemeber. I will have to have antibiotics among other things. I want to try a few things before that to see how I like them. If they work out I want to help get things back to normal, preferably optimal, after the baby comes.

I dont have that book but i have seen it referred to glowingly in other circles. Having a brief look at the principles, I think they seem very sound.

I love to play with cultured foods. I like to keep my sugar very low, although I do eat fruit and sometimes agave or a bit of honey. Healthy fats are a given and I changed them years ago. I have done the whole Nourishing Traditions thing, which is similar. I have been reading a lot about raw foods lately and experimenting with that. I like to play with these things.

I think you would only get healthier on it, particularly if you come from anything like a typical western diet. Whether you end up sticking to the principles rigidly, well, I think its always worth starting out following them strictly and then see how you go. It will do you no harm and probably lots of good.

How did you like the information in Nourishing Traditions? I have looked at the book a few times and I can't quite decided how I feel about it.

Is there a book/site etc you would recommend to find out about cultured veggies? I have never tried this but am very curioius!

I don't want to box myself into a diet. That is way to rigid for me! I like to be able to pick and choose the best of all the different ideas out there. I want to be able to get back to feeling great again instead of so sluggish and icky. I thought some of the ideas in Body Ecology sounded interesting enough to try. It definatly couldnt harm me to give them a whirl!

How did you like the information in Nourishing Traditions? I have looked at the book a few times and I can't quite decided how I feel about it.

Is there a book/site etc you would recommend to find out about cultured veggies? I have never tried this but am very curioius!

Not Peela, but I bought the Nourishing Traditions book and was delighted to pay for half of it, and annoyed I had to pay for the other half. I don't agree with their stance on animal products, but the fermented foods and beverages sections were very interesting. The other spiffy book for fermented foods is Wild Fermentations. I have played with kefir and kombucha, but accidently killed my kombucha mother, so that's the end of that. I'm way too embarrassed to ask my supplier for another :blushing: With two little kids, I am not in a position to do more than just read about these things, at the moment, but we do buy tempeh occasionally, which is another cultured food. You can do some surprisingly tasty things with it!

:)

Rosie

Well, for information on kefir and all teh things you can do with it, try this website

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

However, dont buy anything from him. I am sure he has good personal reasons but I and others made orders from him (back in January in my case) and he never sent them, and after the first apologetic email, never responded to my emails either.$70 gone on my part. However, the information on his website it good.

See if you can borrow NT from the library. I use kefir whey for all my ferments and I have used many recipes from NT. Once you have done a few, you get the idea. I have made many drinks like ginger beer too. Like Rosie, I am not 100% sold on everything in the book, but I consider it a very valuable resource. Also, Wild Fermentations is a good book, but I have it on my shelf and actually havent used it yet :)

You can join the Nourishing Traditions Yahoo group (called discussingNT)- it is extremely active and quite rigid about the philosophy (it can all get a bit cultish with NT- their way is the only way, everyone else is deluded etc- but the information is very worthwhile reading). There are a lot of good recipes in the files of this group and if you are just after recipes and the idea behind how to make cultured foods, you could have a look there.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/discussingnt/

hth

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jazzmom

I'm new to this forum - thanks, everyone, for your comments.

I've been using the Body Ecology Diet format for about three months. I plan on applying many of the principles throughout my life - not a quick fix. During this process I've learned some valuable things, such as how to get kids to buy in, and how to make the transition less expensively, and a little more gently (experience is a great teacher). I have a son who has struggled with attention, organization, impulsivity, severe allergies... he's doing much better even applying some of the principles of Body Ecology (a more gradual process of change for him than for me). I've also struggled with these issues throughout my life, as well as many others. I'm encouraged by the hope that I will continue to improve, as I have seen great improvements already, and that I can provide a better opportunity for my son than I had, to have control over his future by being healthier.

Edited by jazzmom
grammatical errors