Menu

Anyone else not enjoy celebrating their birthday?

Not sure why...no specific reason, just don't enjoy a big fuss over me (I'm turning 42, not a new thing). Drives my mother-in-law crazy as she's the opposite. My perfect birthday celebration would be dinner with my familly, immediate family. Will I regret burning this bridge later?

I think it just depends on the person/family.

We don't make a huge deal out of birthdays. My birthday usually looks like this...

Homemade cards from the children

Starbucks gift card from hubby.

Pizza in or quick dinner out (either way I'm not cooking)

Brownies or cake (more for the kids than for me since I don't like cake).

Day off of school (we all get the day off of school on our bdays)

Extended family (my parents, my siblings) may or may not send a card. Just depends on how busy life is for them.

Sounds about perfect to me.

I just celebrated my birthday and it was just like any other day. I actually did not answer the phone all day because I didn't want to hear everyone wishing me a happy birthday.

I get depressed on my birthday. I try to focus on the positive things that happened over the past year but then I start thinking about all the things that did not happen and I get depressed.

Unless someone gives me a gift of a trip to a warm tropical island I don't want to discuss my birthday.

I just celebrated my birthday and it was just like any other day. I actually did not answer the phone all day because I didn't want to hear everyone wishing me a happy birthday.

I get depressed on my birthday. I try to focus on the positive things that happened over the past year but then I start thinking about all the things that did not happen and I get depressed.

Unless someone gives me a gift of a trip to a warm tropical island I don't want to discuss my birthday.

:iagree: I hate my bday. The only reason I celebrate at all is for my dc's sake as they love bdays and enjoy making Mama cards and "surprising" me w/breakfast in bed. Other than that...blech, another bday, another year. But then I told my mom that I didn't want to celebrate my 4th bday because I refused to get older. My 21st bday came and went quietly much to my brother's frustration who got a fake ID card thinking we would go to the bars. :001_huh: I am not aging gracefully or pleasantly, I'm afraid.

I'm the same way. My ideal birthday would be my favorite breakfast / lunch / dinner meals planned by me and prepared by my family. Handmade cards from the kids are wonderful. Gifts I can take or leave (although if I got a gift certificate for a massage each year, I'd be delighted).

This past birthday I turned 40. My husband, who is a gift / party person, insisted on me having a party. I did not want it, and I did not enjoy it.

... but I really don't care that much about them either .. my birthdays especially. I had one last Saturday. I went to lunch with my mother, sister, and daughter yesterday to celebrate. I only did it because they wanted to. I really didn't care one way or the other ... at least they waited until we got back to the house to sing "Happy Birthday" to me. That part I do not like. :glare:

I am not looking forward to my birthday. In a little over a week I will be 33. That is a third of a century. Being around kids and teenagers all the time reminds me that I am old. I think we might go to Catfish Cabin or Cracker Barrel that day. (two places in town where all the old people go. Last time we went to Catfish Cabin we were the youngest people there) Those places make me feel young.

I don't mind birthdays, but I do not enjoy birthday parties for myself. In the same way, I do not like huge Mother's Day celebrations. I just don't like all that focused attention.

I prefer to stay with my own family and celebrate at home or a simple meal out. But like some of you, I have extended family who makes this difficult at times.

I remember staying at IL's for a few weeks during a corporate relo with a 5 week old newborn and impending birthday. MIL puts the bug in kids ear that we should have a big party & invite all the relatives. Her idea became my kids' responsibility (they KNOW how I feel about birthday parties! But she wouldn't listen to 'em...). It was not a good time, with the guest of honor a displaced, sleep-deprived, mother-of-screaming-newborn turning 40-something....