Menu

It's worked for us. We only have the children that we planned. I don't want to be on the pill, neither of us is crazy about condoms, and neither of us wishes to do anything permanent. So, this has been a good choice for us. Of course, part of the reason we haven't opted for a permanent solution, is because both of us are open to the idea of more children...maybe. So, that being said, I do agree that it is a method that should only be used by people that would be okay with a pregnancy. However, learning more about natural planning does intrigue me. Good information from the hive, as usual!

I have an oops! She is 16. It was due to a serious miscommunication regarding TOM. As soon as my hubby completed his part, I hit him and said, "What did you do that for?" I knew that this one mistake would result in a child. I used every method in the book - I charted mucus, temp and I have very distict mittlesmertz to the point that I can tell you the exact moment of ovulation. We avoided all unprotected intercourse for up to 8-9 days before ovulation and three days after as well as using the sponge, diaphram and condom. Those would be children 4, 5 and 6. Number one was while I was on the pill. My hubby finally had a V but never got an all clear. I am now firmly in the throes of menopause though so another pregnancy would be a serious surprise. During occassions when we used only withdrawl, I found it unsatisfying. My hubby never complained but even if it was satisfying, I would imagine it was distracting because they would have to paying attention to what was going to happen instead of enjoying what was happening.

All that being said, my dd and SIL managed to use this method successfully for 5 years. I bugged her so much to go to the doctor and get BCP that she finally went and then got pregnant that month while waiting for her period to start so she could start the pill. He is about 14 months old now. As many others have pointed out pre-ejaculatory fluid does contain sperm so you can get pregnant before the completion of the act. It would definitely need to be used in conjunction with NFP to be what I would consider somewhat safe.

I'm using a diaphragm. It's very easy to use and doesn't interfere with anything. I can't feel it once it's in even though I was never able to use a tampon because I could always feel it.

You have to make sure that you use a spermicide with it.

I've had perfect success for 11 years.

http://www.pamf.org/teen/sex/birthcontrol/diaphragm.html

I haven't used the method but a very close friend of mine became pregnant without even having intercourse.

Marie

That was how we got number 3. No one believes us when we say we didn't even have intercourse anywhere near the date of conception, but we really didn't.

We used the withdrawl method and tracking ovulation successfully for nearly 5 years between children number 2 and 3.