Menu

Do front loaders really use less water?

They use a lot less water. Dh does all of the bills so I do not have that kind of data. But I listen to the machine run, and the amount of time that the water is running to it is very short. Top loaders take a lot longer to fill.

The other significant savings is that the front load washer spins out a lot more water from the clothes than a top load washer. This means that the dryer cycle is a lot shorter. It just doesn't take as long for clothes to get dry. My dryer cycle used to be a lot longer than the wash cycle which would make for a pretty long laundry day. It's still a little longer, but only about 10 minutes longer than the washer.

Has anyone notice a significant drop in their water usage from your water bill? Not necessarily that your water bill amount due is less (our rate has gone up....I know other communities have raised their rates as well).

Dh calculated that our water usage dropped by 10% when we replaced our old washing machine with a front-loader. Our gas usage also went down (because of having to heat less water) but I don't remember how much.

I do not pay the bills, so I don't know. Also we have had a leaky faucet for a while that is eating, or I guess drinking, up the water. My Bosch does use less water. I can open it during the cycle to add things I drop on the way to the laundry room. No water leaks.

The first washer I ever bought was a front-loader, so I can't compare. BUT, the front-loader only fills about 1/3 of the way full of water. It really does use less. Plus, since you don't have the agitator taking up space, you can stuff more clothes in. I discovered this when I did laundry at a friends house, and I couldn't fit a whole load of clothes in. LOL