Menu

How do I combine Science for 1st, 3rd, and 5th grades?

extendedforecast

So far, all I know is that we are going to study Biology since it aligns with both 1st grade and the 5th grade according to WTM. Would anyone be willing to share how it's done in your home? What are your expectations for the younger children vs. the older ones? Could you describe a typical week?

I withdrew my children from school in mid-September, and we have only been doing Math, Reading, Spelling, Grammar, Writing, and Logic (for my 5th grade DD). We are all feeling confident enough with our routine to add in History and Science. I just need to order our Science materials for experiments. Once we get comfortable with History and Science, we will add Latin, Art, and Music. I expect that will happen in about a month. Do you think I'm hurting their education by doing it this way?

Thanks,

Cindy

First, you are not hurting their education. What you are doing now is likely more than they they were getting in ps anyway. Trust me...my 3 oldest are in ps now and I'm ready to pull them b/c of the lack of challenge. :glare: About science...we don't strictly follow the WTM, but here are some suggestions. If you are not Christian or don't want a Christian curriculum then these might now work so well!:

Christian Kids Explore Biology would be my first pick for your age group. The 1st grader can sit in on the readings and do any projects he/she wants. Perfect for your other ages/grades.

Apologia Elementary Science series is also good. Difference is you spend all year on ONE topic like Flying Creatures or Swimming creatures, or Botony, etc. I think they actually have a Human Body Elem. coming out soon too (or it is out, not sure).

I don't have any experience with secular science materials. Sorry. I'm sure others will chime in, though!

If I were doing those ages for biology, it'd look something like this in my house:

I'd start with a read-aloud from a good non-fiction book on frogs, their life cycle, habitats, etc I'd found at the library.

The first grader would narrate his favorite parts, I'd ask him some questions, and he'd draw or color a frog.

The third grader's narration would have to be more detailed, I'd have him write down a chunk of it himself, his drawing or coloring page would need to be labeled, and I'd probably have him name a notebook page on one particular frog that strikes his fancy.

The fifth grader could make an outline from the frog book, read a more involved frog book on his own, thoroughly label a frog drawing, make a report or summary on one particular frog he liked, and find a few frog locations on the map/globe.

They could all watch the Magic School Bus show where the bus turns into a frog, and/or an amphibian documentary. And I'd probably have a handful of different frog books from the library for them so they'd have lots of kewl pictures to look at.

eta: A trip to a pond where frogs are likely to be found would be a kewl way to wrap it up too.

Edited by SilverMoon

I'm doing Biology for our first year at home with dc - grades 2, 5, 8

We are using the Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia as our spine. We began by studying plants and are moving to animals then the human body. We've been using Janice VanCleave's Biology for Every Kid for our experiments.

We usually divide science (and history) between 2 days. One day we use for discussion and information gathering. The second day we use for experiments and activities. For instance, this week we focused on leaves. We had an ongoing experiment that dealt with plants seeking sunlight that we talked about on Monday. We also gathered information about the parts of leaves and the purpose of leaves. We put it all in an outline form and included it in our notebooks. All the kids took part in the discussions and helping create the outline. My older children were asked to take time during the week to figure out why leaves change color in the fall. On Friday, we talked about their discoveries. They sort of understood what they'd learned about the leaves changing color but we fine tuned that understanding through discussion and by the end, all 3 kids were able to tell me what causes the leaves to change. We then took a walk in the woods to collect leaves.

This week our days will be reversed. Early in the week we'll be sorting and identifying the leaved we collected and doing an experiment that shows the pigment changes in leaves. Later in the week we'll be gathering information about flowers.

As far as additional expectations for olders, I expect their experiment reports to be more complete. I expect them to remember the scientific terms and their meanings for a given topic. I expect them to do some research (leaves changing colors) on their own and I expect them to start making some connections with what they are learning. I also expect them to spend some of their reading time reading from the many books that are available to them for whatever topic we are studying and writing a short report or summary of it.

So far, all I know is that we are going to study Biology since it aligns with both 1st grade and the 5th grade according to WTM. Would anyone be willing to share how it's done in your home? What are your expectations for the younger children vs. the older ones? Could you describe a typical week?

I withdrew my children from school in mid-September, and we have only been doing Math, Reading, Spelling, Grammar, Writing, and Logic (for my 5th grade DD). We are all feeling confident enough with our routine to add in History and Science. I just need to order our Science materials for experiments. Once we get comfortable with History and Science, we will add Latin, Art, and Music. I expect that will happen in about a month. Do you think I'm hurting their education by doing it this way?

Thanks,

Cindy

I would not try to combine the 1st grader with the 3rd & 5th. I'd pick something that works for the 3rd & 5th graders (assuming they are not more than about 2 years "apart" school wise. . . If the 5th grader is much more accelerated or the 3rd grader slow. . . I wouldn't combine them. . . In that case, perhaps combine 1st/3rd and teach 5th separately.)

Anyway, I'd choose sth you like that is manageable for the 3rd/5th. Do them together. Choose whatever you like, but if you want sth simple to start with, I love SonLight's Science 4 -- nice intro on several nice topics and it is all laid out for you, especially since you probably have your hands full with 3 school age kids starting homeschool this year. . . (Not a biology year, tho, if that matters a lot to you.)

For the 1st grader, I'd either do sth simple for that child alone, or even just wait on science for the 1st grader. (If you want to start science for the 1st grader, the Let's Read and Find Out Books are great or choose other library books on science topics. . . one book a week. . . is enough to start with for 1st gr IMHO. The My Body project book from Teacher Created Materials is awfully fun. . . and you COULD do human body stuff for the olders to go along with it. (SL Science 5 is mostly/all human biology. . .)

&/Or Pick up More Mudpies & Magnets and do one exp't a week along with some reading book . . . That'd be totally fun and super.

You could even choose books for the 1st grader that follow on what you do for 3rd/5th if you want to.) Then, I'd let the 1st grader tag along with anything that is FUN adn INTERESTING that the 3rd/5th graders do, but I wouldn't try to gear it that low, or you'll be underserving your 5th grader by too much.

Sorry for rambling! HTH

I wouldn't combine it for all three. A first and fifth grade should be working on vastly different levels, with different materials and methods. Depending on your 3rd grader's abilities, you could teach 1st/3rd or 3rd/5th together, but I would urge you to rethink trying to teach all three together from the same materials, even if you're scaling expectations of output from them.

You've given me a lot to think about. I'll definitely be looking into the curricula mentioned to get an idea of what would work for us. I have a strong math and science background, so I think I would want something not too scripted, but at the same time something that is already put together in terms of which topics to cover. I don't have the time, nor the experience to put together my own stuff. Again, thanks for helping me out.

-Cindy

First, you are not hurting their education. What you are doing now is likely more than they they were getting in ps anyway. Trust me...my 3 oldest are in ps now and I'm ready to pull them b/c of the lack of challenge. :glare: About science...we don't strictly follow the WTM, but here are some suggestions. If you are not Christian or don't want a Christian curriculum then these might now work so well!:

I'm not opposed to any curriculum, religious or secular, as long as it is of good quality. Thanks for the recommendations; I'll be looking into them this week.

If I were doing those ages for biology, it'd look something like this in my house:

I'd start with a read-aloud from a good non-fiction book on frogs, their life cycle, habitats, etc I'd found at the library.

The first grader would narrate his favorite parts, I'd ask him some questions, and he'd draw or color a frog.

The third grader's narration would have to be more detailed, I'd have him write down a chunk of it himself, his drawing or coloring page would need to be labeled, and I'd probably have him name a notebook page on one particular frog that strikes his fancy.

The fifth grader could make an outline from the frog book, read a more involved frog book on his own, thoroughly label a frog drawing, make a report or summary on one particular frog he liked, and find a few frog locations on the map/globe.

They could all watch the Magic School Bus show where the bus turns into a frog, and/or an amphibian documentary. And I'd probably have a handful of different frog books from the library for them so they'd have lots of kewl pictures to look at.

eta: A trip to a pond where frogs are likely to be found would be a kewl way to wrap it up too.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I could make this work, however, I wonder how much time it would take to plan out? I am short on time these days. Did I mention that I have an almost one year old to care for as well?

-Cindy

I'm doing Biology for our first year at home with dc - grades 2, 5, 8

We are using the Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia as our spine. We began by studying plants and are moving to animals then the human body. We've been using Janice VanCleave's Biology for Every Kid for our experiments.

We usually divide science (and history) between 2 days. One day we use for discussion and information gathering. The second day we use for experiments and activities. For instance, this week we focused on leaves. We had an ongoing experiment that dealt with plants seeking sunlight that we talked about on Monday. We also gathered information about the parts of leaves and the purpose of leaves. We put it all in an outline form and included it in our notebooks. All the kids took part in the discussions and helping create the outline. My older children were asked to take time during the week to figure out why leaves change color in the fall. On Friday, we talked about their discoveries. They sort of understood what they'd learned about the leaves changing color but we fine tuned that understanding through discussion and by the end, all 3 kids were able to tell me what causes the leaves to change. We then took a walk in the woods to collect leaves.

This week our days will be reversed. Early in the week we'll be sorting and identifying the leaved we collected and doing an experiment that shows the pigment changes in leaves. Later in the week we'll be gathering information about flowers.

As far as additional expectations for olders, I expect their experiment reports to be more complete. I expect them to remember the scientific terms and their meanings for a given topic. I expect them to do some research (leaves changing colors) on their own and I expect them to start making some connections with what they are learning. I also expect them to spend some of their reading time reading from the many books that are available to them for whatever topic we are studying and writing a short report or summary of it.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out. It really helps me get a feel for how to structure the week. I purchased the Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia to use, but I couldn't wrap my mind around how to make it work for all the kids, hence the original post :D

How much time does it take you to plan out what you want the kids to accomplish on a given day as well as gather the materials?

I'm doing Biology this year with 6th, 4th, and 1st graders. We spent the first 8 weeks on the human body. I outlined them on parchment paper and put their bodies up on the wall. Each week we would learn one or two systems, color the organs and cut them out to tape on the bodies. The two older dc had additional reading and coloring in anatomy coloring books designed for high school or college age. Now we are spending about 15 weeks on animals following the Apologia Land Animals of the Sixth Day, then we will do Apologia's Botany in the Spring. I just teach to the oldest and let the youngers absorb what they will.

How much time does it take you to plan out what you want the kids to accomplish on a given day as well as gather the materials?

I plan two weeks at a time. Basically I decide our "topic of the week" last week leaves, this week flower, next week seeds.... and so on. I find at least one experiment/activity that goes along, order appropriate books from the library and decide what the most important learning points are. I spend less than an hour on planning two weeks. Biology for Every Kids makes the experiments really easy to prep for because it uses to many "around the house" things.