Menu

HOD opinions...

Homemama2

I'm thinking of using this 'possibly' for next year. I can't really tell from the samples how in depth this prog. goes. I love that it seems to incorporate in Bible into many/most subjects...also it uses the math and english I plan to use next year. I'm not sure how I like the history sequence, but the biblical aspect is more important (in my opinion). It looks like it includes narration, copywork and dictation...all pluses here. But we have been using mainly WTM and AO, and I don't want to go to something really simple in comparison, kwim? Not saying HOD is ....this is what I'm trying to figure out. On the HOD boards I hear alot of "this curriculum is a breath of fresh air" etc......which makes me wonder, is it TOO simple for the grade level, or is it just really well written?

Thanks for the opinions!

I think it would partly depend on which level you are considering. If I remember correctly, Beyond's primary spine is Stories of the Pilgrims and Bigger's primary spine is one of the Eggleston books? They would both be "living" and enjoyable, though not as difficult as some of the AO lit. You could always add some AO lit. as your "HOD storytime" reading selection. I tend to check AO's book lists every year no matter what we're using for history.

You can find samples of almost all of the history selections used by HOD. When we were deciding on CTC, I actually had my daughter read the samples of all the texts. I wanted to make sure it would be challenging but not so hard that she couldn't do it independently. That's about the best advice I can give you.

Thanks. I like the look of the books in these programs (actually we are starting to think some of the AO selections are pretty dry. It seems like we either LOVE the book, like Understood Betsy, or it's so dry that I finally ditch it and pick out our own.) I'm hoping to check it out more at our convention this year, maybe then I can get a better idea of the "appendix" :001_smile:

We used Bigger last year and Preparing this year, and will use CTC next year. I'm also using LHTH for my preK son. I'm a big fan of this program, but I do feel like God led me directly to HoD and I have not used any other program, nor do I have the desire to look for anything else, so ymmv.

I think, as with any program, prayer and placement are key. My dd placed in Bigger when I pulled her from 3rd grade and it was a solid year of learning Am History from a biographical perspective. There are also TONS of other books if you look at the book packs that tie in to the readings from the Eggleston books. I didn't think it was too easy at all. We read about Thomas Edison, and various American Indian stories, pilgrims and early settlers, the Wright Brothers, George Washington, you get the idea. We made a timeline too, which is so important in putting it all into perspective.

There is also art incorporated into the history study which was neat for me because I am not creative in that way. We made a wampum belt out of dyed rice, and sculpted a teepee, and wove and indian rug, etc.

But I guess your question is whether or not it's too easy. I think a lot of the moms on the HoD board call it "a breath of fresh air" because everything is tied in and woven together so beautifully. The bible links back to the history and makes connections about the character of the people we are studing. When we studied the discovery of the new world and the the exploration of the east coast, in science we studied about the seashore and what they might have encountered there. I think it's so simple in the way it's all tied together so thoughtfully and we as moms are not stuck trying to make the connections and come up with the "key ideas" ourselves.

What sold it for me was meeting a mom at my homeschool park day and looking through the material in person. Can you do that? I think you said convention, so that would be good too. Carrie, the author, and her sister Julie, are very active on the HoD boards and will offer help and encouragement as much as you need.

HTH!

Okay I am going to copy and paste your signature and then go from there...

2nd grader: FLL 2, Abeka readers, Letters and Sounds 2, Rightstart C w/ Singapore CWP 2, GTG, AO read-a-louds, All About Spelling 2, WWE 2, Story of the Ancient World (by c. miller), R.E.A.L. earth science and astronomy, HWT cursive, Artistic Pursuits 1

I think you are doing more with your 2nd grade right now than Bigger Hearts does for 3rd grade.

It depends on where you place, I was trying Bigger Hearts with a 3rd grader. I felt it was severely light on Language Arts and Science which is more Charlotte Mason until around 5th grade. The new guide (CTC) has writing in it and it is more a 5th grade level guide and age group.

Ok. If you go with Bigger Hearts for 3rd grade I think you will feel it is light. The history is good in Bigger Hearts and plenty for a 3rd grader. The history is the only thing that I feel isn't light. I liked the history. The science is really more Charlotte Mason style. It doesn't really explain a lot of the science and is more short readings and some "experiments". The experiments themselves seem more 1st to 2nd grade level science to me. In fact, a similar sink or float experiment like in BHFHG was in my son's 1st grade CLP science book. I was really not fond of the science and how light it was in Bigger Hearts. The spelling in Bigger Hearts is the last spelling lists HOD uses and they are simple. They use 2 spelling lists starting in Beyond Little Hearts for his Glory the 2nd list is used in Bigger Hearts and then you move to dictation. The dictation is definitely lighter than WWE2. The dictation is very light and simple.

I had tried 3 guides this summer and used them for 4 months. I tried LHTH, LHFHG, and BHFHG. None of my kids fit into one guide. The right side: math, language arts, spelling, dictation...was so light I would have needed 2 guides for each kid to get the right level of instruction in each subject. Singapore math isn't light but they only use activities in the guides and workbook up through 2a/2b and then only recommend the textbook/workbook no HIG for 3a/3b, 4a/4b and only put the optional HIG for 5th grade. Having never heard of Singapore and only using the guide's activities, I thought we made a horrible math mistake. Once I got the HIG's and Textbooks to go with Singapore it was so eye opening. I hadn't been doing "Singapore" math at all.

I haven't used any of the other guides but have looked at the samples and they seem more of the same to me. If I had seen a guide in person and would have seen the simple spelling and dictation then I would never have bought HOD. I think if you start with the LHFHG for pre-k (not k/1st)then it is alright. You would get to the higher level language arts faster. I also think you would need to continue spelling and dictation with a more rigorous program. There isn't any english until the BHFHG guide so it starts out with the 2nd grade R&S and the spelling words are just simple in my opinion.

I think unless you have a wiggly child that needs really short, quick lessons and lots of getting up and doing jumping jacks while memorizing Bible verses or doing push ups and such or if you are really pro-Charlotte Mason then you really want to get a guide and look at the appendix which has the dictation, poetry, spelling lists...I know I wished I had seen all of the guide besides just the sample before purchasing.

I found it light in everything except history. I really liked the history and the history reading selections.

I'm using Bigger Hearts this year with my 2nd & 4th graders. We don't follow their grammar and math recommendations, in their skill areas my kids are 3rd & 5th. In the past we followed WTM recommendations and used Story of the World. This year I really wanted to focus on American History and I liked all the wonderful literature that went along with the curriculum. My 4th grader uses the extension and enjoys it very much. We're enjoying HOD so much that I'm planning to stay with it for next year at least.

We actually get much more history, Bible and literature done throughout the week b/c she schedules it in manageable chunks. My girls are also really proud of the notebook they're compiling. I'm not crazy about the science, but we're using two additional science curricula so it could just be that I'm overloaded in that area.

With the extension pack for the history I think it is pretty good (I am referring to Bigger Hearts). It includes geography, mapping, Amer history, timelines and hands on projects. The Bible portion includes alot of character development which is alot of my focus. We read the Bible for family devotions so character is where I really want our focus to be.

For LA and math for use our own things. But I use the spelling, dictation and the poetry. We are not poetry fans here so at least it gets included with HOD.

As for the science, I like the notebooking and having 2 experiments per week but it does seem a little disjointed. I am thinking of adding something with more of a flow to it. The topics are good and we enjoy it. We are only beginning week 6 so we will see how it goes. I wish there were more of an explanation about the experiments too. When we did the one on germs with glitter on your hands I would have liked the "why" warm water and soap gets rid of germs included in the guide book.

I think it is thorough, but depending on your interests you may want to add more in certain areas. It is designed so that there is enough time to explore other areas whether it is electives such as foreign language or just more science, history etc.

The "breath of fresh air" would be because it is so well layed out, balanced, woven together with Bible so well, and easy to follow. You cover more subjects in a day with HOD than you otherwise would and you cover them well. And then you still have time to add in your extras or expand in any subject area that interests you...like read more books about the science topic...or even add in an Apologia Elem Science lesson a few times a week if you have a big science bent.

Is it too light? I think it depends on your goals and proper placement. I want my kids to learn, be academically solid, but still be kids. HOD lets this happen! Another poster said Bigger is for 3rd grade and was too light, but it's actually for ages 7-9 which is roughly 2nd to 3rd. You place based on age, but also use their placement chart to place based on ability. Sometimes you have to look at where it's going, not at the younger guides from the start. Kids using the upper levels of HOD are using very rigorous levels and excellent curriculum. My dd is very strong in reading, is very bright and considered gifted...we did Beyond for her in 2nd grade and some of Bigger for 3rd...I had to stop and take a break due to extreme morning sickness, a big move, a wild toddler...ya' know...one of those seasons. I was able to let her do much of it independently. Science seems light, but even Apologia curriculum author says no formal science study should be done in the younger years and it should be all about fun, discovery, and exploration....HOD is perfect for that. Science is FUN!! It's not all about facts and it's easy to actually do for ME...which is great, b/c otherwise, it would never get done. Kids have fun, they retain it. In Bigger, they start keeping a science notebook and tie it into Bible, draw pictures of what they are studying in the One Small Square books and others, narrate from science, do experiements and lab sheets....it's great!

Now, as I look ahead, I see that I actually want to wait on the higher levels b/c the depth of the studies and the maturity level needed to truly grasp it. Also, even in the younger years, a "mature" ear is needed for some of the readings (it will be great training for little ones to attentively listen and be able to narrate)...I don't think it's light at all. I think it's great prep for what's to come...a much easier road there as well. No rushing into things, no rushing through things just to get them done, and amazing retention and enjoyment. True joy in and love of learning that you can't teach a child.

It is also very possible to combine with HOD and I plan to do so later when we are back up and running full speed. I have 2 that are 3 grades and 2.5 years apart and will have no issue in combining them...same with my next two dc. You just need the right level of Singapore Math and R&S grammar for each (or whatever your LA/Math choices are). Oh, and the SM lessons are wonderful and work so well that we never needed "drill and kill" methods or any of the extra books from SM. So long as we used the hands on lessons, she grasped it very well...when we didn't use them, not so well. HOD lessons made it very easy to teach math quickly, without burning out me or my dc. Very hands-on, very fun, and very inexpensive b/c it used real life stuff instead of needing a bunch of store bought manipulatives.

I say if awesome Bible teaching woven through all subjects is a priority to you, you can't go wrong with HOD. The rest will fall into place when you put God first.

This is our first year using HOD. I love it. The kids love it. I plan to stick with it through middle school for each of the children. My oldest son is really being challenged. In comparision to other curricula that I have used (My Father's World, Sonlight, WinterPromise, Ambleside Online - I've used all of these at various times), HOD covers less material overall but more is required of the student. My oldest son in particular feels very challenged right now. He is especially making progress in his writing skills and his ability to read a portion of a book and answer questions (in writing rather than just orally, he does both now) about what he has read. I think that in comparision to other curricula there is more of what I used to call "busy work." I didn't expect that because HOD is supposed to be a CM curriculum (and it is but not so much as AO). For the first several years of my oldest son's homeschooling career, I avoided "busy work." We did alot of oral work, not alot of projects, practically no workbook kind of work. Now with HOD, there is, in our opinions, alot of written work (atleast in Preparing), regular projects and things we've never done before like science lab sheets and making our own vocabulary cards. I used to think of those things as unnecessary but now I'm realizing that I should have been including more of those all along. There are certain skills that my oldest son doesn't have because he's never been required to exercise those areas.

So, we don't find HOD to be too easy at all. We've never been slackers, my son has always had a solid curriculum going but HOD definately requires more of him than any other curriculum he has ever used. Now that's to be expected and is appropriate because he's ten. While there isn't as much quantity, more is required of him as far as what he is supposed to do with what he has learned. If you look at the chart on the HOD board and place your child according to both age AND skill level, you will probably be happy with HOD especially if you also like a CM -influenced curriculum.

Carrie Austin, the author, used both Sonlight and AO in the past. I think that as she prepares her middle school guides you are going to see more of an AO type influence. I know with the younger guides there is alot of overlap between the Sonlight reading lists and the HOD books. Be sure to account for including Drawn Into the Heart of Reading into your HOD curriculum. That is where you have alot of freedom to choose books that you love from AO or wherever and still use them the "HOD way."

For me, HOD is a breath of fresh air. I know that is in part because I feel like God led our family to HOD at this time. I used to really worry. My son's head was being filled with an enormous amount of information. He is very knowledgable. But, I just always felt like something was missing. I wanted a curriculum that was literature rich but that also included challenging assignments. And, I didn't feel like I had found that before. HOD has relieved that burden for me. Carrie looks at all kinds of things when deciding what to put in the guides. She considers her state's education dept. requirements. I think the guides are just right for the age/skill levels they are recommended for.

We read ALOT of books that are not a part of our HOD curriculum. I intend to always use the AO lists to add for their free reading, pick titles for Drawn Into the Heart of Reading and for read-alouds. To me, these just feel like an extension of HOD, not something separate and totally unrelated. Both of my sons will always be on the older side for their guides but I am ok with that. There is a steady progression of skills that are being developed. I won't skip any guides because I want the foundation to be strong and I think HOD does provide that. There are accomodations we will make. For example, my younger son will start Rod & Staff English 2 before he gets to Bigger Hearts. He will also use Rod & Staff Spelling along with the dictation in HOD. So, we'll tweak it a bit but not too much.

Thanks so much for these replies! I'm getting a much better idea of what the curriculum is like. :001_smile: I think I will still try to check it out in person before ordering, but I am liking how it incorporates the Bible. Thanks for the heads up about the Singapore and science...I will keep that in mind if we go with it. We do quite a bit of science around here, so we might have a back up plan on that...or do something during the summer. And I think I'd buy the HIG for math. I have always tried to "pull together my own program" for stuff...bits and pieces of what I like. That's always worked fine, but it takes ALOT of my time, and dh and dcs wish I'd spend less time planning stuff. So this may just be my answer!