Menu

Red cabbage recipes anyone?

We did that experiment this week too! Are you using RS4K Pre-Level1 Chem.? I'm liking the book pretty well so far. My older son gets jealous when he sees we're doing "food experiments"!! ha!

Yes, I cooked 1/2 the cabbage, and have been eating it with my lunch. You could mix it w/ any cooked grains or legumes (lentils, barley, bulgor, etc) and put that in a tortilla w/ lettuce and call it lunch! (I've done that). I also just eat it plain as a side dish, but not a favorite around here. Surprisingly they DO tolerate it raw in cole slaw, so I'll use the other 1/2 for cole slaw - light mayo, rice vinegar, raisins, peanuts - yum!

GL! - Stacey in MA

Here's my favorite Red Cabbage Recipe. It's from this cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/Ready-When-You-Are-Compendium/dp/0609610848/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256354367&sr=8-1

2 oz. bacon (2 thick slices), diced + 3 or 4 add'l slices

3/4 lb. lentils (ca. 1 3/4 c.) washed & picked over

1 bay leaf

3 T. balsamic vinegar

salt & pepper to taste

1 T. olive oil

1 small or med. onion, finely chopped

3 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed

1 med. red cabbage (1 1/2-2 lbs.), cored and finely chopped

Combine half the diced bacon, the lentils, 4 c. water, the bay leaf, and 2 T. of the balsamic vinegar in a large, ovenproof Dutch oven or flameproof casserole & bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, simmer for 30 min. Remove from heat & stir in 1-2 tsp. salt (to taste), some pepper, and 3/4 c. water, or enough to just barely cover the lentils.

Heat oven to 350F.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil & the remaining diced bacon over med. heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet & cook the bacon until it begins to render its fat. Add the onion & cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 3 min. Add the garlic & cabbage, and about 1/2 tsp. salt, stir together, cover, and turn heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 min., until the cabbage is tender & limp. Add 3 T. water and the remaining T. of balsamic vinegar, cover, continue to cook for another 15 min. Add salt & pepper.

Spoon cabbage mixture over the top of the lentils in an even layer. Arrange the slices of bacon over the cabbage & place in oven. Bake for 1 hr., or until bits of the cabbage & bacon slices are charred around the edges. Serve hot or at room temperature.

You can assemble the dish a day ahead of time & keep it in the refrigerator. Bake it on the day you wish to serve it. Leftovers are good over rice. :)

It makes a pretty coleslaw (you do have coleslaw in the U.S., right ? ). Chop the cabbage finely and add in grated carrot- thats the foundation. Other things you can add are currants, chopped apple, chopped onion, scallions, grated beetroot....you get the idea.

And then smother it all in some sort of mayonnaise or coleslaw dressing. (I usually mix mayo half and half with yoghurt).

Oh boy, now I'm hungry.

I cook it the way my German mom did. I put about a tbsp of oil into a pan and saute the shredded cabbage for a couple of minutes. Then I add a bit of water to the pan and some vinegar and I cook the cabbage until tender. (Actually about 1/2 hour before that point I had sugar and salt to taste.) I usually cook the whole thing in about an hour but I do remember my cooking it longer.

Anyway the whole thing is supposed to have a sweet and sour taste.

I'd say make the rouladen to eat with it but in our neck of the woods rouladen cuts are very expensive so we eat it occasionally.