Menu

Can't decide re: Martin Luther

Guest 4boys

I am looking for a picture book or read-aloud about Martin Luther for next year. My boys will be 8 and 6. I've been searching and searching and still can't decide what to get. I think I've narrowed it down to Paul Maier's book or Thunderstorm in Church by Louise Vernon but I am definitely open to other possibilities. A Book in Time suggests one by May Youge McNeer but I can't find it anywhere aside from used on Amazon and it doesn't give me a good look at it or a review.

It is so hard to tell from the back cover or a few lines in a sample page of a book what kind of POV the books are written from. I would prefer a biblically sound evaluation of what Luther did and stood for, or just the facts of what happened or what he did.

Are any of these books what I am looking for? Are there any other suggestions? Thanks for any help or experience! This board is always my number one research site!

We just did Martin Luther this week and we read the Maier book. My 9yo got a lot out of it and I was happy with it. I'm no expert on Martin Luther though so it could be someone else might have a different viewpoint. But from my perspective, it fit the bill very well.

I have the one by May McNeer and Lynd Ward. It is a fine story and decently written (though I am not an expert on Martin Luther) but definitely for older kids and I am not a huge fan of the illustrations - especially the one on page 75 of Lucifer. The pictures are not like the one on the cover - they aren't particularly well drawn and are a little dark and creepy.

We just did Martin Luther this week and we read the Maier book. My 9yo got a lot out of it and I was happy with it. I'm no expert on Martin Luther though so it could be someone else might have a different viewpoint. But from my perspective, it fit the bill very well.

Yes, and my library ordered it on my request. :party: