Menu

Mapping the World With Art

Deeke

Is anyone else still waiting for the DVD (Also included are DVDs with videos of all the step-by-step drawing lessons) to be sent? When I ordered this programme(ages ago) the slip said it would be sent within a week. I have emailed her, but the email address keeps bouncing my emails back.

Anyone have a different email than the one listed on her site?

It is a great programme, we're really enjoying it...but would love to have the dvd.

http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/id151.html

Wow, she must have been inundated with orders! We ordered back in August or September (and convinced a few local friends to order in September), and the dvds came with the set when they were ordered...

I sent the author an unrelated email last week and received a prompt reply from ellenmchenry@hotmail.com -- but I believe that's the address on the website.

I hope you hear back and get your dvds soon! They really are incredibly helpful in doing the program!

I would love to hear more. I was thinking of doing this next year with a small group of my daughter and son's friends (Not co-o) would that work well?

That's sort of what we're doing. I was so excited when I bought MWA that I was showing all of my friends, and one of those friends talked her husband into offering it as a (free) "class" each week. There are 8-10 kids doing it, and we're 4 weeks in now. In an hour a week, it's possible to fit in the history lesson, the mapping lesson, and maybe *1* of the activities. It works best if the kids are focused, obviously. ;) But the history and mapping are so detailed that they require little prep work (other than learning the map thoroughly ahead of time). Some activities require more than others, but you can pick and choose.

Personally, it would be worth it to me *just* for the mapping lessons, though I think the history adds context and connects the maps to other history that the kids have learned.

I was just getting ready to order this (by snail-mail with a check) so I'm glad you all are posting on this.

Do you think I should hold off ordering in case there are DVD issues to iron out then? I don't have a start date in mind; today just happened to be shop-for-more-school-stuff day.

Thanks for any thoughts on this and for letting me interrupt the thread.

I would love to hear more. I was thinking of doing this next year with a small group of my daughter and son's friends (Not co-o) would that work well?

Yes, it would work. In fact that's how Ellen McHenry developed the program, using it with a coop or small group.

Each lesson is broken down into three parts. The first is a history of geography lesson; it's a short two page read appropriate for about 5th grade and up. The second part is the actual drawing, and the third is a hands-on activity. All parts relate to each other, reinforcing the lesson.

In a small group setting, I could see just handing out the history portion and asking the students to read it independently for the next week's lesson. I would do a verbal review of the history lesson at the beginning of the next class, asking questions and basically narrating the important parts of it. I'd next do the drawing part, and if time permitted one of the related activities. It's a program that can just be done once a week and still leave you with the feeling something was really learned. It would be very easy to use the DVD in class, pausing it along the way to allow everyone to keep up. You'll have to pick activites that can be completed in a limited time.

HTH, Stacy

Edited by Stacy in NJ
sp

I was just getting ready to order this (by snail-mail with a check) so I'm glad you all are posting on this.

Do you think I should hold off ordering in case there are DVD issues to iron out then? I don't have a start date in mind; today just happened to be shop-for-more-school-stuff day.

Thanks for any thoughts on this and for letting me interrupt the thread.

bumpity bump

Hope you all don't mind me asking again. Any opinions?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely, impatient Bridge (apparently anxious to spend money)