Menu

SOTW in a classroom setting?

coopers4him

I'm not right now, but I've been thinking about doing one next year. My kids are enjoying it so much, I think it would be fun to share with others.

I'm pretty sure I would cut a few chapters and combine a few others (at least, I would with Ancients). I would have each family purchase a copy of the student pages. I'm pretty sure PHP offers a classroom discount, but I don't remember what the minimum is on that.

I would read SOTW, do the map work and hopefully do one project for class, then send home the coloring page and a recommended reading list.

At least, that's what I think I'd do. I hope others have more ideas to share!

I lead a weekly class, muli-age, 1.5 hours for SOTW 1. We're incorporating Evan-Moore's History Pockets. Every child has a three ring binder with handwriting paperwork, timeline pages and the student activity pages that they purchased.

Each week we start with reading the chapter aloud. After reading I ask the questions from the activity guide and then ask for sentances for copywork. I make sure we find the "main point." I put the copywork on the board. The younger ones copy the two sentances (5,6 and 7 yos) the older ones come up with their own sentences (8-10) and our two 14 yo write their own paragraph summery. We then read the second section of the chapter and do it again :)

Then we add to our timeline and do the mapwork. A lot of students do the coloring page while I read the chapter.

We then will do a applicable elements from the History Pockets.

Lastly we do a project from the activity guide. Pics are on my blog. :)

I check out library books from the reading list and bring them to class, and then parents can take them and return them to the library when they are done.

The 14 yo hand in their writing to me and *I* correct it (instead of their moms!) which offers a nice change for the teenagers, being accoutable to someone else. They also take the SOTW test from their SOTW test books at the end and turn that into me as well, and I give them a letter grade on those.

We have 7 families involved, with a total of 12 children ages 5-14. We're on chapter 6/7th week on Monday. We meet at a church, and do our own set-up and clean-up. It's a cost-free class, parents are expected to help with set-up and clean-up off and on and to bring any supplies requested of them (I send home a handout every week with info on what to do during the week to supplement the class, and what's needed for the following week.) Sometimes for hard to find supplies I will buy it and bring it and ask for donations to cover my cost. Everyone has been very helpful and enthusiastic thus far. And all my library books have been returned in time! ;)

I'd consider having the children own SOTW and the families do the reading the week before the class, so class time can be spent engaged in activities, mapping, eating feasts, maybe having the kids (or guest speakers -- older kids!) give brief presentations in turn on related topics.

I am doing a small group with Story of Science (middle schoolers) this year that way and it is working nicely. I'd hate to eat up much of the precious kids-together-woohoo time just reading (which is so easy to do at home).