Menu

It's 5, I don't have dinner plans,and I'm feeding 4 extra mouths...

Bud and I justgot home from a lovely romaantic weekend getaway, and now we have our kids plus 4. The plus 4 come from our lucky friends who are on their way to see U2 tonight.

So anyway, I've got nothing to feed this crew and need to run to the store and whip something up quick. No eggs, no refined flour and generally healthy.

Any ideas to feed 9 mouths?

Pasta is always cheap, easy and quick...and there are GF pastas. Canned sauce of course since you don't have all day to make it fresh, but our store carries some decent organic choices for those times I don't cook it.

Pair it with a green salad....or if the kids won't do salad, how about a veggie tray with some dip. Dip can be bought ready made or easily whipped up with some yogurt (or sour cream) and spices. It's a great one to put the kids to doing while you boil the pasta and heat the sauce.

Or, if you have time for a little longer work, chicken/veggie stir fry. I prefer doing it with fresh ingredients, but you can find ready mix of veggies in the frozen section, add some chicken and dinner in about 20 minutes.

Or take out, lol.

Thanks, y'all! All it took was posting, then I had the light bulb. Mexican Tomato Lime soup. It's fast, easy, tasty and healthy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them on file. I especially like Connie's idea about takeout. :D

So are you going to tell us how you make it?:001_smile:

Yes! It's from the Moosewood Cooks at Home recipe book. Here's my from memory version:

1. Saute some minced garlic and cumin in vegetable oil.

2. Add a large can of tomato juice, some chopped tomatoes, fresh lime juice, and chopped cilantro. Simmer about 15 minutes.

3. Top with your choice of toppings: crumbled tortilla chips, avocado, grated cheese, jalapenos, etc.

I told you it was easy!

ETA: for this crowd I used 5 cloves of garlic, 3-4 tsp cumin, two large cans tomato juice, 4 chopped tomatoes, juice of 4 limes, and bunch of cilantro.

Edited by Amy loves Bud