Menu

PSAT results?

My kids came back from the PSATs yesterday feeling pleased with themselves and wanted to know when they would find out. I haven't a clue and couldn't find anything on their website (I understand them not wanting to commit to a date). Is it a few months? Do the results come in the mail?

I'm hoping the homeschool code I found online was right, because the one they wrote on the board at school was 99997. I'm very glad I had my kids memorize the real one.

I'm just glad they came back positive about their first visit to the highschool and outside testing experience. Apparently the school was very easy going, did not ask for ID, came around with calculators for kids that didn't have them, and gave them a 5 min bathroom break after the 4th section. And the guidance office was very nice to me when I went to register them.

Sounds like we are lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
What kind of score is considered to be in the NM semifinalist range? Anyone know? I couldn't find it on the College Board web site.

This is not from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation website, so it may or may not be official. This is for semi-finalists; from that selection, finalists are chosen.

I would try browsing around the official website for the National Merit Scholarship Corporation; however, I tried and was not able to locate any official cutoff scores from that.

Thanks, that's helpful. But honestly, do those scores seem low? In KS the qualifying score is about 212. That divided by 5 sections is about 43 points per section. For a score range of 20 to 80 per section, that seems to imply that about half move on to Semifinalist status? Somebody straighten me out here, that just doesn't seem correct...

Thanks for the link, anyway, ds took it as a sophomore so it is just for practice, but we are curious nonetheless!

It is all dependent upon what the scores are for your state. Only the top 1% qualify as semi-finalists.

The restriction is that you have to be in your junior year and graduating in 2 years. If you take it earlier and score well, you are not entered into the scholarship competition.

HTH

Thanks, that's helpful. But honestly, do those scores seem low? In KS the qualifying score is about 212. That divided by 5 sections is about 43 points per section. For a score range of 20 to 80 per section, that seems to imply that about half move on to Semifinalist status? Somebody straighten me out here, that just doesn't seem correct...

Thanks for the link, anyway, ds took it as a sophomore so it is just for practice, but we are curious nonetheless!

Actually there are 3 sections - Critical Reading, Math and Writing. So for KS you would need an average of ~70 for each section.

Actually, very few move on to semi-finalist status, fewer move on to become National Merit finalists. I'm guessing the kids who score around 230 or so (out of 240) are the ones who actually become National Merit finalists. But, that's just my guess.

Actually there are 3 sections - Critical Reading, Math and Writing. So for KS you would need an average of ~70 for each section.

Thanks, that makes much more sense! I guess I was just thinking of the way the practice tests were divided into 5 sections. I forgot that four of those were actually "halves" of 2 sections.

Yes, that makes much more sense! DS feels good about the test so we've just been wondering if he might achieve that score level, despite being ineligible as a sophomore.

Actually, very few move on to semi-finalist status, fewer move on to become National Merit finalists. I'm guessing the kids who score around 230 or so (out of 240) are the ones who actually become National Merit finalists. But, that's just my guess.

A large percentage of the semi-finalists move on to finalist. Out of 16,000 semifinalists there will be 15,000 that become finalists.

To move from semi-finalist to finalist you have to get a qualifying SAT score (said to be 2000 or higher), have a good recommendation letter from the guidance counselor (non-familial adult teacher/leader type person for homeschoolers), complete the lengthy application on time, write an essay, etc. The advancement from semi-finalist to finalist is not based on the PSAT score.

Slightly more than half of the finalists will be awarded scholarship money (and thus become a National Merit Scholar) from either their college of choice, a corporation or the National Merit Corporation itself.

Jan

According to data that I've read most semi-finalists go on to be finalists. Each year there are about 16,000 semi-finalist and there are ~15,000 finalists.

I'd surmise that most of those who are cut just don't file the paperwork in a timely fashion, don't score appropriately on the SAT /etc.

FYI: College Confidential usually has state cutoff data based on its posters: here is the one for this year's seniors:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-act-tests-test-preparation/696125-psat-scores-national-merit-semifinalists-2009-h-s-class-2010-a-50.html check out post 746 on pg 50

hth

~Moira