Menu

Gah! I'm tired of being a night owl.

I need to get up in the mornings. Everyone in the house is asleep, and here I am, wide awake. I could easily be up til two.

I tried to go to bed but just lay there, tossing. Sometimes if I put a movie on my computer in the bed I'll fall asleep.

Can you change from a night owl to an early bird?

I don't think you can change how you're wired. But I do think you can make changes to help you keep a more family friendly schedule. I'm like you and it's really hard.

Melatonin helps me go to bed at a reasonable time. Keeping my weekly wake time (and reasonable bedtime) consistent even on the week-end is important. Daylight exposure when you first wake up or as soon as possible after can help reset your body clock. Naps are what are killing me in terms of being consistent in fixing this. They need to go because they make it too easy for me stay up late, get up with my kids, and still get the sleep I need.

I'm wired to be night owl and I don't have the discpline to consistently function otherwise. But I need to get back on it.

Edited by sbgrace

That's what I'm working on myself. I'm a night owl and sincerely wish I wasn't. I'm trying harder to get to bed earlier and when I actually do it, I'm up earlier and get more accomplished in a day. It feels so good when that happens, but I'm evidentally not disciplined enough to be consistant. It helps to try and get things done earlier in the night-like checking e-mail. It also helps if I pay closer attention to the time and remind myself how much better I'll be tomorrow and in the long run if I can get to bed earlier.

I wish I had some magic answer for you, but I don't. But you are not alone!

Hmm - less coffee + more exercise and regular hours. The history channel also does wonders for me. But then again so does a Sonata and some melatonin. I put on a smile in the morning and keep it there until it fits. Then again, don't take advice from insomniacs that work shift work because the schedule suits them. I do believe its time for a new pot of coffee ;)

I think you could change. It would take time. You'd have to do things differently. For example: melatonin an hour before bedtime. And I mean a decent bedtime, say 10pm. Do a predictable bedtime routine. Lay down in bed. Beds are for sleeping and sometimes for TEA but let's stick to sleeping. If you can't sleep in 20 minutes, get up and do something boring and repititious, like matching socks or picking lint off sweaters. In half an hour go back to bed. Same thing, if you can't sleep, get up and do something monotonous. Keep this up for a few weeks and you'll be surprised how quickly you can fall asleep. It also helps to jazz up your morning. Set your alarm an hour before normal and have a work out. Again, keep it up for a few weeks. I bet that in a month you'll have a different schedule. But... if you're like me... there's a part of you that secretly loves this quiet time when everyone else is sleeping... :lol:

Yep - this isn't the best time of day to ask for advice on a topic like this.

But then again, my ds switches back and forth between time zones on opposite sides of the world a few times a year. So it is possible if you really want to do it. He gets up early, exercises and doesn't drink any coffee, ever.

I have the same problem! I'm glad I'm not the only one, I guess. My enabling is that dh is unemployed right now, and before then he had a job where he could go in late, so if I stay up late, I still have someone to watch dd. Night time is the most peaceful time for me, and it's very hard to give it up. To make it even worse, I need a LOT of sleep (try 10 hours!), so I end up getting up so very late. :( I'm concerned about what I will do when dd needs to start DOING stuff, and won't be happy staying home a lot.