Menu

Reading vs. spelling

AngieC

My 5 year old is learning to read, but she has a much easier time with spelling than reading (she will see a word and not know how to pronounce it, but then I will spell the word for her and she immediately knows what it is).

Is there are certain learning style associated with this? Are there any reading or spelling programs that might work well for her? We used HOP K and are now halfway through HOP 1st grade because that's what I bought before I discovered all of the other fabulous programs out there. She seems to enjoy it well enough so we haven't switched (that said, I think the HOP 1 is pretty easy and probably is truly a later K level).

Thanks for any advice!

Angie

DD5, DS3

My son is a very good speller using basic phonics words that he knows. When we do spelling, I say the words aloud and he spells them aloud. According to Andrew Pedewa spelling used to be done that way because spelling is a list of letters in a certain order which you have to pay attention to if you are spelling aloud while you can just see which letters are used in a word if you see it on paper. I use McGuffy's Eclectic Speller, which groups words together that use similar phonics rules, such as short a, short e, etc.

My son can spell words he isn't even familiar with based on phonics rules (and I don't think he's figured out that we focus on one vowel at a time). However, when I have him do copywork consisting of writing those words underneath where I wrote them and I ask him what the word is, he painstakingly sounds it out as though it's completely foreign to him.

We're really struggling with reading aloud right now, like it just hasn't clicked for him yet. We were using OPTGR but we got to where they were talking about rules that weren't anywhere in the readings he was doing yet, and he hated it anyway so we've put it aside for the time being. He literally spends hours "reading" stories, but I think he's mainly looking at the pictures and guessing at the words based on what he remembers of the story.

So I don't have an answer for you except that it sounds similar to what my child is doing and I, too, am mystified by it.

Both my children have been able to spell before they were able to blend and sound out words.

Noah Webster's Speller is a great method for this, it teaches reading and spelling at the same time. And, the syllables you learn first later become the foundation of 2 to 6 syllable words. My daughter was able to read out of the KJV Bible after completing Webster's Speller in K.

My son is just now learning 2 letter words and blends, we're starting a bit of the Speller on a white board as he feels willing to work. Next year when he's in K, we'll work through the Speller.

You can read more about how to use it in the link below and in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70153