Menu

Anyone use "Experiencing God" in your Sunday School classes?

I'm in Ukraine for the adoption, and trying to research a bit to develop a Sunday School/Small Group structure for next semester in which our pre-teens, teens, and adults would all be on the "same page." Ideally, I'd love for this to include children as well, but can't find anything that is concrete enough for the little guys and deep enough for the adults.

Here's what we're looking at:

1. Life Classes on Sunday morning which would be "large group" for adults, and teens. Dh and I would share teaching responsibilities. Pre-teens and younger would meet with their own teachers/leaders.

2. Life Groups during the week - A Life Group Leader would meet with a small group (3-5) of women/men/teen girls/teen boys to discuss and apply what they have studied.

I have the Experiencing God books at home, but not in Ukraine, to look and see if they would lend themselves to this sort of structure. We're a young, growing church with lots of college students, singles, newly married, new parents. I'd love your thoughts ...

Are you referring to John Piper's curriculum? The kids' version is called Children Desiring God?

If so, our church uses them, and I love them. They are waaaaaay more in-depth and not cartoonish/superficial. They offer both a Sunday and a midweek option. Our church does both. The teachers like having both services in the same format.

I think this curriculum would work well with what you have in mind.

Experiencing God by Blackaby? I think I went through that study years ago in a lady's bible study. I don't remember enough of it to know how it would work with different ages.....

However, as the other poster mentioned, John Piper's ministry does have a couple of curricula designed for intergenerational teaching. We've only used the other Children Desiring God Sunday School curricula at our church, so I'm not exactly sure how the intergenerational courses are set up. Here's a link:

http://www.childrendesiringgod.org/curriculum/curriculaGroup.php?curriculaId=6

We've used CDG over the years. I had forgotten that they now have inter-generational curriculum and may look into that. I was talking about Blackaby's study. They now have a pre-teen and a teen version. I have both of them, but at home. I'm wondering if they parallel well enough with each other to use at the same time.

WE tried to use the Blackaby one when we were overseas at a military base. It was not a good fit for our situation both in us being in a foreign country and for where we were in our seasons in our life. He comes to this perspective from a very evangelistic perspective. IT just made all of us who couldn't do this at that point in our lives feel bad.

I took this class years ago and WOW, it was terrific!

Some thoughts... it is a very introspective study, if one goes about it honestly. It can be convicting, and folks may or may not want to share deeply and truthfully.

Also, I cannot imagine that each session would fit a Sunday school time frame. We did this as a weekly Bible study in a 2-hour session, and we needed every bit of that time. Perhaps there is a version that is intended to fit a shorter time frame, it's something to consider.

I enjoyed this as someone who had been a believer for a number of years, and was past the point of things being new and fresh. I was deep enough into my faith walk to realize the fact that the walk is not always easy. I just wonder what perspective teens would bring to this. Not saying that it isn't for teens, I am just pondering what they will think of the material.

Hope this helps. It's been many years since I did that class. There are very few extra-Biblical book studies that I personally call life-changing... this is one of them.

My then 12 yo son did it with a mostly adult group and really enjoyed it. Because it was at our house, he had the option of joining or not. My 11 yo joined in on occasion and watched most of the videos. He found the study part too serious for him and did not want to do homework. Many teens at our church did this at a different small group. Overall, the reports I heard from our own study and others at the church were that this study made lasting changes for many people!

The videos were easy to watch while being quite deep. Ds was able to do the study guide independently, and the memorization was not difficult.

Hope this helps.

Punks