Menu

ds has tons of sores on the roof of his mouth

He's just coming out of the fever/headache/congestion/coughing flu thing, and now he's got these awful eruptions on the roof of his mouth. He's been swishing salt water. He can eat soft food (eggs and bread for breakfast, soup for lunch), but even those things agitate it. Poor kid.

Is there anything else otc I can give him?

TIA

He's just coming out of the fever/headache/congestion/coughing flu thing, and now he's got these awful eruptions on the roof of his mouth. He's been swishing salt water. He can eat soft food (eggs and bread for breakfast, soup for lunch), but even those things agitate it. Poor kid.

Is there anything else otc I can give him?

TIA

Try googling milk of magnesia for mouth sores. I seem to have heard something like that.

Tazo's Zen

Got it! He loves tea, but I usually just give him the decaf stuff.

We tried swabbing the milk of mag, but he didn't much love that. My er medicine cabinet is pretty bare; lots of various vitamins, bandaids, Tylenol and for some reason, we did have MOM (and it wasn't even expired!). Dh had to go buy a thermometer and Vicks the other day because we haven't owned either since the dc were babies. I think I might try some anbesol, too. I gave him a Tylenol tonight and he's in bed, so we'll green tea it tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

You need to mix an equal part of children's liquid benedryl with the milk of magnesia, and then put that on the sores (or just have him swish it around in his mouth for 30 seconds and spit it out). I use 1 tsp of each. This will numb the sores, as well as cause them to heal faster. It is especially good not too long before eating, because then sores will be numb and not hurt as much. I hope they go away soon! Mouth sores like that are the worst!