Menu

Need advice for Halloween/fall *something* in lieu of trick-or-treating?

I have decided this year to NOT take the kids trick-or-treating. We live in a small area and most of the time, all the trick-or-treating is done at a local church with every child in the county. This year, I am just not wanting that scene.

My kids are both boys - ages 10 and 6. I am looking for something to make Halloween fun for them, even allow them to dress up if they like, but without the trick-or-treating. The obvious choice is a party..but I don't want to invite anyone. Does anyone have any neat ideas that can make the holiday fun enough that they don't miss the trick-or-treating? :bigear:

I have been thinking about this myself and I decided to do a candy treasure hunt. My guys won't be dressing up but you could probably do something similar with dress up, etc. I bought a box of 50 of those little chocolate bars and I'm going to hide them all over the house. :D OR I might put them all together in a bag and hide them in one of the vents and then make a big treasure map that they have to follow...I dunno, haven't decided.

We often do both. We've had grilled food for the gown-ups (and beer!) as the kids went T or Ting. We also had sparklers for the kids. (Plus fun food). Maybe you can simply have a party at your place-- you decide the menu. You can make it as junky or as healthy as you'd like. Nobody will care. Fun eats and gathering with friends is nice. That's all kids want.

Parties & gatherings are fun. We homosapiens want to hang together. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Some great ideas here. Thank you all so much! The treasure hunt is one I hadn't thought of...but we did one in HOD (a very small and simple one) and the boys LOVED it. So that will be a definite play! Awesome!

Making the jack-o-lantern that night is a good idea, baking we love, bobbing for apples. Yay! Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!!

Last year, we got together with one other family. (D has a corn sensitivity, which pretty much eliminates any candy she might possibly get Trick-or-treating. Hence the need for alternatives here. :)) We had a lot of fun, it was relaxing, and we didn't have tons of candy to deal with afterwards. :) Maybe you could do something like that? (Not quite as overwhelming as an all-out party...)