Menu

CLE 1 or MUS Alpha?

We did both. I followed the CLE books and pulled out the MUS to teach the concepts. Personally, I think Alpha is so foundational. In 13 years of HSing, nothing teaches the beginning like MUS. What my kids don't get with CLE they got with Alpha. What lessons you don't fit in with CLE can be easily done over the summer or at the end.

I strongly believe in mastery based curriculums, especially for math, so I'd say MUS.

We've been using MUS since the beginning and it is rock solid IMO. We've never used CLE math but did use it for 1st grade LA. I think CLE is also a solid program, but both the kids and I got tired of the constant spiraling. I'm going to assume (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that their math follows a similar spiral style, which I don't believe is the best way to learn. Mastery certainly can move at a slower pace, although not always if you've got a child who catches on quickly, but I think it's more solidly engrained in their minds.

I've got a quick learner and a slow learner (dyslexic) and it's been working great for both of them.

I have a question about MUS Alpha.

We're going through it at the same time as we work through Right Start B.

But....I'm a little disappointed. It is solid, in that it is complete, but it seems like Alpha is pretty much just memorizing the addition and subtraction facts. Vital, and consistent in the basics, but it doesn't seem like it's anything we couldn't have done with flash cards. Am I missing the genius behind the program?

I've not used CLE 1 as we started in CLE 4 this year, but we did MUS Alpha. I LOVED it, but dd ended up in tears with the mastery approach as she could not get her addition facts down cold so we stalled out. We switched to RightStart B and it was a better fit. She does better with a spiraling review which teaches a variety of concepts rather than focusing on mastering one main concept (addition in MUS Alpha).

In my opinion, MUS Alpha and Beta should be combined. Way too much time is spent on nothing but one digit addition and subtraction. (Facts) If you go with MUS I would get both Alpha and Beta and start Beta about 1/3 of the way through Alpha, but continue with Alpha as well.

Choosing between MUS and CLE really depends on your child. The programs are wildly different. My daughter does much better with a spiral program. She is also very visual and has ADD. The many steps and manipulatives of MUS frustrated her, then the mastery of MUS bored her to tears. It was a terrible fit.

"it seems like Alpha is pretty much just memorizing the addition and subtraction facts. Vital, and consistent in the basics, but it doesn't seem like it's anything we couldn't have done with flash cards. Am I missing the genius behind the program?"

I agree. I had planned to just teach my ds his addition/subtraction facts up to ten with games and flashcards, and then start him in MUS Beta. However, I've been using MCP 1 for days when I don't have as much time to work with him. I may just stick with MCP if it continues to go well. Whenever I pull out the MUS blocks, he gets distracted and just ends up building with them. He's even told me he'd rather not use the blocks because they distract him. However, he's even mentioned that some of the pictures on the MCP pages distract him, and there aren't really that many graphics. Plus, they are mostly in black and white. It sounds like he may do better with the layout of the MUS workbook pages, but we'd have to skip using the blocks. We'll see.....

When would you start MUS?

Only at first grade level, or could you use it for K/Pre-K?

MUS has a K program. I think it might teach place value, if it does and I were to use MUS with DS I would use the K program and then work on the "how and why" of adding and subtracting with the Alpha TM, but no workbook, then move on to Beta without mastery of the facts. Continue to drill the facts while learning the "how and why" of 2 digit numbers with Beta.

But I really doubt that I will use MUS again. I am very happy with Abeka. :)

Ugh, money is so tight, but Luke (who can count to 15) does not understanding counting objects and I want to find something that can help me explain it to him.

I say, Luke how many crayons do you have? Luke says, '1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11.12.13.14.15.' :glare: I lift up the crayons and set them down one at a time, '1.2.3.' Luke says, '4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11.12.13.14.15.' :(

I guess I could go look it up, but it's so much easier just to ask :lol:

Yes, but if I stop before I reach 15, he takes it up and will point point point back at the objects, until he reaches it. I'm trying songs now (1 little 2 little) and hoping to break him of it.

I'm just worried that I'm going to have a little boy that never learns how to count things, just count. Of course, I know that's completely irrational and foolish, but .... well... I just hate the idea of having ruined him :(

Yes, but if I stop before I reach 15, he takes it up and will point point point back at the objects, until he reaches it. I'm trying songs now (1 little 2 little) and hoping to break him of it.

I'm just worried that I'm going to have a little boy that never learns how to count things, just count. Of course, I know that's completely irrational and foolish, but .... well... I just hate the idea of having ruined him :(

Well, when DS and I count (with our itsy bitsy spider book, have you seen those? There are 10 spiders on the first page and one spider leaves after each and every page and only one is on the last page) when we get to the end I say Yay! 1...2...3...4...5...6, Yay!

Well, when DS and I count (with our itsy bitsy spider book, have you seen those? There are 10 spiders on the first page and one spider leaves after each and every page and only one is on the last page) when we get to the end I say Yay! 1...2...3...4...5...6, Yay!

I have not seen those, but I will look for them now.

Maybe reversing the numbers down will be what he needs. :) Thanks!

It's difficult to learn to count when there are lots of things on a page. It's hard to remember where you started, you know?

I might try having him place a sticker on something as he counts it, so he knows it was counted. Or at the very least, counting things in straight lines, and helping him touch each item until he gets to the end of the row.

I would do a lot of one to one correspondence counting of five or fewer items.

Thank you both for the suggestions. We'll try these tomorrow with counting and see if it doesn't fix his counting :D

I thought maybe saying Yay! after you count them all will change it up for him. It signals that you are at the end after only 6 or 7, etc and not just after 15.

It's difficult to learn to count when there are lots of things on a page. It's hard to remember where you started, you know?

I might try having him place a sticker on something as he counts it, so he knows it was counted. Or at the very least, counting things in straight lines, and helping him touch each item until he gets to the end of the row.

I would do a lot of one to one correspondence counting of five or fewer items.

CLE, without a second thought.

Dot is almost finished with Lightunit 104 (book 4 of 10). She enjoys math, and tends to do anywhere from two to four lessons at a sitting. We choose not to do what I consider the "extra" stuff with her at this point. Next year I'll consider adding in the drills at the back of the book, but for now I don't see the need. She can double her numbers to twelve, and then in multiples of ten to "twenty hundred" :D, tells time to five minutes, and counts nickles, dimes & pennies to 99 cents. She can add three digits together (2 + 1 + 3 = 6) and has demonstrated the ability to add as many as five depending on what the numbers to be added happen to be; she can also identify ones, tens & hundreds place value. She can count by 2, 5, and 10 to 100.

CLE is absolutely mastery, btw, but the info is introduced in such small bites that they absorb the concepts almost without knowing that they have done so.

Edited by skaterbabs

I've been throught TONS of math programs and am using CLE with my youngest now. I wish I'd had it YEARS ago and it would definitely be my choice over MUS.

We really love CLE. Yes, it spirals, sometimes out of control, but you can tweak it the way you want. It's so simple and completely laid out for you. My son is really going to know math with this one.

Kim

It is solid, in that it is complete, but it seems like Alpha is pretty much just memorizing the addition and subtraction facts. Vital, and consistent in the basics, but it doesn't seem like it's anything we couldn't have done with flash cards. Am I missing the genius behind the program?

:iagree:

My daughter complained every morning when I took out the materials. It did a great job of teaching facts but the groans got worse and worse. I switched to CLE 1 and my daughter loves math again. CLE saved our day and my sanity.

HTH,

Penny