Menu

Would you buy a car named Don'tMove?

We saw a cute little sports car drive by, and I asked my son what it was. He said it was a Solstice.

Um.

Solstice is Latin for "sun still"--it describes the time when the sun, for several days, does not rise or set any further north or south, IOW, it "Don'tMove"....

Classical education, anyone?

Jean

LOL! Do you think they knew what it meant when they named it??

According to my daughter, they are taught in business classes that researching this type of thing is mandatory. Perhaps they did not go into the original Latin or...they assumed there were so few people who would know enough about Latin/astronomy that it would not make a difference in sales...and they would probably be right about that.:001_rolleyes:

Jean

Maybe when that car drives by ... the sun stands still (in awe! haha)

My younger ds just read a book about advertising "Made You Look:The Truth about Advertising." And he agrees, there is a lot in the name. He commented that KY Fried Chicken's sales increased when they changed their name to KFC (because people were not being reminded that they were eating that bad fried food! haha)

Are we that dumb? haha

My son, who is totally into vehicles, just said, "Yeah, but it's the time when the sun is most bright in the sky. You know, it's bright and brilliant." I reminded him that there are two solstices, and he said, "Well you have to judge a car by it's vehicle-ness integrity, not it's name, okay mom?!" Boys. They are so stubborn.

Like the Nova meant "no go" in spanish. I love stuff like that. There are some funny ones here:

http://www.takingontobacco.org/intro/funny.html

Though I could be forced to snopes some of those, they seem unbelievable.

LOL Oh snap you beat me to it! I was going to post up about the Nova. My husband is from a Spanish speaking country. They couldn't sell those cars there for nothing! hehehe

We saw a cute little sports car drive by, and I asked my son what it was. He said it was a Solstice.

Um.

Solstice is Latin for "sun still"--it describes the time when the sun, for several days, does not rise or set any further north or south, IOW, it "Don'tMove"....

Classical education, anyone?

Jean

:lol:

I often think the same thing about baby names! Meanings of names was a big deal in times past; now, however, some parents don't bother to know what their baby's name means:confused:

susan