Menu

Self-Educating math: where to start?

I'd like to refresh my math skills as my dc get older but I'm not sure where to start. In LCC, Drew recommends possibly starting back with pre-algebra but I'm not sure which program to use. Any suggestions? What have you used that you have enjoyed working through? I enjoy math and am looking forward to this, but I'm also stretched fairly thin with the ebb and flo of daily life so I'd like to find something that is quick and painless. ;)

Math was a struggle for me and is also a struggle for my dd.

She is using TT Pre-Algebra. I read the lesson and watch the computer cd before she does the lesson. Then I work the practice problems. This is working well for both of us. After the "refresher" I am better equipped to help her if it is necessary.

Personally, I am very pleased with TT. I know there are conflicting opinions on the program, but my dd does not plan to enter a math-heavy career. So I think the program will help us both succeed in helping her complete what she needs for high school.

Adrianne in IL

I'd like to refresh my math skills as my dc get older but I'm not sure where to start. In LCC, Drew recommends possibly starting back with pre-algebra but I'm not sure which program to use. Any suggestions? What have you used that you have enjoyed working through? I enjoy math and am looking forward to this, but I'm also stretched fairly thin with the ebb and flo of daily life so I'd like to find something that is quick and painless. ;)

Life of Fred--entertaining and painless. And it makes a great supplement to your child's regular math, so you can pass the books down to them.

I highly recommend ALEKS for this purpose. I've been through their algebra I and geometry courses and it helped refresh my extremely dim (read nonexistant) memory very well. I'm due to take the algebra 2 course pretty soon as my son will be finishing geometry in the next few months.

It took me 40 hours to complete algebra I and 20 hours to complete geometry.

I used ALeks for review. I started with pre-algerbra. It is nice because you take a test at the beginning, and your lessons are customized for what you need to learn. I found it didn't give enough practice or explanation for new, so for algebra I am doing Life of Fred. I love LOF. It has short but thourough lessons. Make sure you get the home companion, which has additional practice exercises.