Menu

dividing words into syllables

athena1277

Dd is 6.5 and in ETC4. She did ok on the lessons when it asks her to divide into syllables. Today she is working on the posttest and is supposed to use the rules from the lessons to divide the words into syllables. I just glanced over her page and she's missed at least a third of them, if not more. Should I be concerned about this? Will she likely learn this material again elsewhere when she is older and might better understand? Do I need to spend time reviewing until she gets it?

Please share your thoughts and advice! Thanks!

I would probably just continue to review syllable division and schedule in pages of ETC 4 1/2 while she does ETC 5 (or whatever you had planned next). If she didn't retain everything from the workbook, maybe at 6 it is just too abstract for her right now. My 8 y/o is on lesson 4 of ETC 4 and I can tell he's following the directions but not totally understanding. The thing is, syllable division matters a LOT in spelling so I think it is an important skill for them to learn sooner rather than later.

Have you tried clapping syllables? I didn't worry too much about the technicality of how to divide them (especially as we are a dual nationality household and syllable division can vary between the UK and US) but I made sure that the boys could clap the rhythm. It seemed to work.

Laura

At that age? I would just correct her and move on. She has years left to practice that concept. It'll probably come up again on a yearly basis in other places. :) (My oldest just did it again in his spelling book this week.)

We clapped the syllables out too. Worked like a charm for my kids.