Menu

Okay runners - needing some help

I just started training for a 5k (couch to 5K program) I am just starting week 2. But I am really enjoying it. My problem was Sat. morning when I went out to run it was FREEZING (I didn't realize until I got home) it was 35 degrees!!! I thought that I had stretched really well - I got terrible shin splints right away and it felt like I was on day one all over again. It was very discouraging...I felt better once I realize how cold it was though.

6:30 am is the only time that I truly have to run - soooo how to do it? What clothing to wear.., do I complete week one over again because I have to adjust to the cold???

Thanks for the advice.:bigear:

I just started training for a 5k (couch to 5K program) I am just starting week 2. But I am really enjoying it. My problem was Sat. morning when I went out to run it was FREEZING (I didn't realize until I got home) it was 35 degrees!!! I thought that I had stretched really well - I got terrible shin splints right away and it felt like I was on day one all over again. It was very discouraging...I felt better once I realize how cold it was though.

6:30 am is the only time that I truly have to run - soooo how to do it? What clothing to wear.., do I complete week one over again because I have to adjust to the cold???

Thanks for the advice.:bigear:

I don't know about cold weather clothing because I haven't had to buy any yet. But I did want to tell you to make sure that you don't stretch your muscles until after you warm up! You never want to stretch cold muscles.

Good luck! I've been running for 8 weeks and ran my first 5K yesterday! I love it!!

It is always OK to pause a program and repeat a week. Just keep that in the back of your mind as you progress. :)

As for shin splints, try sitting and tapping your toes on the floor. Try for 10 at a time. People who get shin splints swear by it. I have to say, it's one of the few running injuries I haven't had.

Running in the cold weather means running pants or tights for me. In really bad weather, I'll even wear some ski gear occasionally, esp. if I'm scheduled for a long run.

I've also been known to put my running clothes in the dryer for a couple minutes in really cold weather. :tongue_smilie:

Target has a great selection of cold weather running clothes. You don't need to layer as much since you will be exercising - you will get warm/hot. As Nakia said, you do not stretch cold muscles. Walk a bit, warm up then stretch if you feel you must. I don't stretch until after my run, if at all.

Here are a few clothing ideas for cold weather:

Stocking cap (wool, wool blend, synthetic)

Synthetic shirt -- Under Armour or something similar; I wear an ancient Helly Hansen polypropylene shirt that refuses to wear out :) but someday I'll upgrade to something from from this century.

Some runners like lightweight polarfleece tops

Long tights, running pants, or wind pants

Windbreaker/lightweight jacket

Gloves or mittens

Synthetic socks

Avoid cotton. If it gets wet (from sweat or rain/snow) in cold weather, you'll be miserable.

Here are some things that have caused shin splints for me:

Increasing mileage too fast

Wearing a shoe that was not right for my foot

Running on hard surfaces (concrete/asphalt) with too-worn shoes

Altering my gait because of snowy or icy roads

HTH!

Have you tried warming up more, then stretching? For shin splits, stand on one leg with your other sticking straight out in front but not high. Point your toe (the leg you aren't standing on) then flex your foot, point your toe then flex your foot. Rotate your foot clockwise and counter clockwise. Do both sides. This should help.

Warm up by walking briskly, jumping jacks, jogging in place with wide knees, stuff like that.

I'm no expert (I've only been running since May), but running is NOT an expensive sport. I know I went out one day in about 50 degree weather and I thought my hands were going to freeze off! I think if you got some decent athletic pants and a non-cotton running top you would be fine. I say non-cotton because I ran in cotton this morning (34 degree weather) and is was somewhat unpleasant. Oh, and I do suppose gloves would be appropriate. Don't fret about what week you are on in C25K. I did a 5K at week 8 in 30 min. I plan on running a 10K in 2 weeks. Just keep running!