Menu

Accredited Christian homeschool programs

I have done a lot of research and I feel like there are not a lot of accredited Christian homeschool programs. For certain reasons, I have to go through an accredited program. I really wanted to enroll my daughter in Bob Jones but unfortunately they are not accredited. A record keeping service is not enough. CLASS is apparently also not accredited. I think Abeka Academy is but I'm not 100% sure. It looks like Seton is the only one that is totally accredited even by a state organization. Only problem is that I"m not Catholic. Any other suggestions?

Mother of Divine Grace and Kolbe Academy are both fully accredited, but both are also Catholic. They are both classical schools. I'm not sure how flexible they are about altering the materials to exclude the Catholic selections, but you could contact them and ask. I do know that they are fairly flexible about some books.

FWIW.......Seton would NOT be easy to eliminate the Catholic content b/c they are more school in a box and rely heavily on textbooks whereas Kolbe and MODG are more literature/whole book oriented in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
Mother of Divine Grace and Kolbe Academy are both fully accredited, but both are also Catholic. They are both classical schools. I'm not sure how flexible they are about altering the materials to exclude the Catholic selections, but you could contact them and ask. I do know that they are fairly flexible about some books.

FWIW.......Seton would NOT be easy to eliminate the Catholic content b/c they are more school in a box and rely heavily on textbooks whereas Kolbe and MODG are more literature/whole book oriented in comparison.

After doing research, Kolbe is only accredited by the

National Association of Private Catholic and Independent Schools (NAPC*IS) which might be helpful to some. However in Texas that organization is not listed as one of the recognized accrediting agencies for private schools so it might not do me any good. It is possible that I could do some more digging to see if they would take it, however the fact that it is not listed as one of the acceptable agencies leads me to believe that I would be having to make appeals for it to be considered acceptable and that puts me in the exact position I am trying to avoid.

Mother of Divine Grace is accredited by the Western Association of Colleges and Schools which is one of the big 6 accrediting agencies. This is actually a pretty big deal which makes it the only other Catholic program that I know of that can rival Seton for being accredited by an agency that will actually make the cut if you ever need to transfer back into public school.

I've done lots of research on this because of the fact that my kids may at some point have to go back to public school. I need to know that they will not end up repeating. I need it for backup. It is not my intention that they go back, but you never know what things can happen in life. By that I mean, unforeseen things. For example, I have a friend at church who was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Of course we do not know what miracles God may do in their life but unless He does a miracle those kids will be going to school unless He provides someone else to homeschool. Considering that life is fragile and we really never know what will happen, I feel it is best to be prepared. Hope for the best, but be prepared for what may come.

I find a lot of places are accredited by agencies that are not even recognized by the state in which case it is useless. In the state of Texas it must be accredited by an organization that is recognized by one of the places on this list http://www.tepsac.org/commissioners.cfm or by one of the major organizations like Southern Association of Colleges and Schools or Western Assoc. of Colleges and Schools etc.

Only a very few make the cut on this. I am sure many peole already know this information but just in case I'm putting it out there b/c I have found a lot of people very misinformed on what places are actually accredited.

Edited by iluvmy4blessings

I've done lots of research on this because of the fact that my kids may at some point have to go back to public school. I need to know that they will not end up repeating. I need it for backup. It is not my intention that they go back, but you never know what things can happen in life.

I called my local school office and asked them how my kids (or the neighbors kids, they were in my preschool) would go to school and she said that here they would be considered private school transfers and all private school transfers are given placement tests. Just an FYI. You can call and find out what applies in your state or school district.