Menu

Anyone using IEW with MFW

afruitfulbranch

Hello,

We use Excellence in Writing and I am planning to get My Father's World K-8. I know that MFW recommends Writing Strands. I've used that before and don't mind it but I prefer IEW because I can incorporate it into other subjects.

Has anyone else tried this already? I don't have MFW yet so I can't say for sure, but it seems like it would be a natural fit.

Since Writing Strands isn't incorporated into the curriculum, IEW works very well.

I'm using MFW Exp-1800s and IEW's themed books this year (first for both). My 14 & 12yo dds are using US History Based Vol 1. They are writing about about things that we haven't covered yet, but will! My 9yo ds is using All Things Fun & Fascinating.

One suggestion to do that...

If you are using SWI, then just use those SWI plans 2 days a week when Writing Strands is scheduled in the grid.

The last time I looked (and it's been a while), the SWI plans were 15 weeks at 4 days a week. So it should work to do it 2 days a week for 30 weeks? I have this vague memory of doing that when my oldest was in RTR about 4 grade levels ago..... wow. time goes fast doesn't it?

Writing Strands is not integrated into the history study or geography study, so you can sub it out. It's scheduled 2 days a week in the MFW grids.

-crystal

We're using IEW and MFW. It works quite nicely!

The MFW schedule doesn't have daily or weekly writing lessons written in the TM. There is a grid each week which lists the daily assignments for each subject and Writing Strands is simply listed.

I don't feel that I'm "missing out" by not using Writing Strands or not using the MFW program to the fullest. You really could use any writing program with MFW. Go with what works best for you and your children!

Good luck!

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the replies!

Since posting I have been able to experience the truth of what you are saying. I can use any writing program but I do like how IEW works with it. For example when we studied the Tabernacle in MTW, we were on Unit VI in IEW. It was easy to use the Victor Journey book with two others for a 3 source report.

All we had to do was add a title page, a picture, and a bibliography with the project from MTW to make a complete project she could be proud of without ever realizing she was doing a big project and getting overwhelmed.

So, I think IEW and MTW work together nicely :001_smile: