Menu

Just reserved my annual autumn read...

OhM

from the library.

The weather outside today looks more like November than end-of-September. It reminded me to reserve Something Wicked This Way Comes for the annual reading!

I have never been able to put my finger on why I like to re-read this every year. The coming of age and end of innocence themes must resonate this time of year. And pair it with the creepiness underlying the local fall county fair and carnivals in general, and it's my perfect October novel!

Anyone else have weird, inexpicable rituals like this?

I am getting ready to read the Unlikely Disciple I have had it on reserve for about 8 weeks

My older teen and I both enjoyed this book. I hope you'll find it of interest.

And, Michelle, enjoy your annual rite of rereading Something Wicked This Way Comes. I can't say that I reread any given book at a certain time of year, but I do enjoy rereading old favorites. My husband calls them my comfort books!

Regards,

Kareni

Oh, I have comfort books, too. I love rereading certain books.

But now, I'm going to reserve a copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes, because it's been way too long since I read it.

Thanks for the good idea. :)

I just finished The Turn of the Screw because of a thread here.:D

We love this on audio .It is just creepy and sad in that fashion that Bradbury so masterfully employs. I must say his recent collection of short stories left me in tears a couple of times. there is no one quite like him. We always listen to the Hobbitt on the day of the first snow. I cannot explain why but the coziness of the hobbitt home is just right for that day . I love reading Something Wicked ....and the film is wonderful!!!My mother always let us watch A Christmas Carol together on days when weather kept us home. These rituals are the glue that keeps us all sane when things get rough.

I read aloud Swallows and Amazons every summer. Every year I think, well, they'll be too old to hear it this year, but every year they insist. At Christmas time, I always read aloud the chapter called Dolce Domum from The Wind in the Willows.

I don't have an autumn read, though I do think about scenes from To Kill a Mockingbird during the fall. I've never read Something Wicked this Way Comes, but now I think I will have to.