Menu

'Trumpeter of Krakow' - is there a Study Guide you thought was particularly good?

MariannNOVA

xpost on the high school board: DD10 is almost finished reading ToK and she is enjoying it -- she has been providing me with narratives after each Chapter.

If you've studied this book, did you have a Study Guide that you found particularly helpful and worth your time?

TIA - :001_smile:

Edited by MariannNOVA

Hmmmmmm.....just your typical study guide things so that I could initiate a discussion with DD10 - an 'official' study guide to make sure I'm not missing anything significant when she and I discuss the book.

I will tell DD about your seeing the actual church -- she will be fascinated by that! :001_smile:

We just finished this book! I don't have any info about study guides but just thought it was cool someone else was reading it. Also I'm impressed about the chapter narrations--how long are you requiring them to be? We didn't do much with the book. I did have her practice writing a compare/contrast paragraph like she learned about in her Rod and Staff lesson yesterday. I asked her to compare/contrast the family's life before and after they moved to Poland. I was pleased with myself for thinking of this. :) She had to do an outline, and a topic sentence...hard! At least now she knows not to use the passive voice in the topic sentence...I never learned that until college!

So my big confession is that she reads all these books but I am terrible about having her "do" anything with them. *hangs homeschooling head in shame*

I'm not sure if I know anything about literature analysis. That's on my list of things to learn over the next few years...

Anyhow, this is the church: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mary%27s_Basilica,_Krak%C3%B3w I'm sure google can provide more pics for you. Also look for picks of the Old Town Square in Krakow, since that's where the church is located.

Rosie

I don't have any info about study guides -- from Amy

Me neither, That's why I was asking. I used study guides when I taught in the classroom and except for a couple of titles that weren't very well done, the others did contribute positively to whatever title we were reading....so I thought that it couldn't hurt to look through one and get some ideas for ToK. If I come up with anything, I will post here.

...look for picks of the Old Town Square in Krakow -- from Rosie

Excellent suggestion -- dd10 will love seeing this. Thanks!

The narrations are not particularly long -- dd10 narrates to me what occured in a particular chapter - I listen for her to speak as if she were giving an oral book report, no 'umms' or 'like, you know' -- which actually she doesn't do. If something she has mentioned is particularly interesting, I will ask her 'why' a certain character did thus and such.:001_smile:

I'm not sure if I know anything about literature analysis. That's on my list of things to learn over the next few years...

Anyhow, this is the church: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mary%27s_Basilica,_Krak%C3%B3w I'm sure google can provide more pics for you. Also look for picks of the Old Town Square in Krakow, since that's where the church is located.

Rosie

There's also a youtube video of the playing of the heynal. I googled "heynal" and it was one of the first in the list.