Menu

Reusing a car seat after an accident if the baby wasn't in it?

Anyone BTDT? I rolled my van on Monday. It was... less than fun. (It was also not my fault. I feel compelled to mention that.) However, I walked away with a black eye, bruises, a few cuts, and some sore muscles. Yeah God!

My question is, the car seat was in the van, but not the baby. Dh says the main concerns about car seats and accidents is the weight of the child compressing the Styrofoam and stuff. He thinks the seat is safe because there was no child in it at the time of the accident. If that is true, I am OK with using the seat, but would like a "definitive" answer if you KWIM.

SO - if you have any insight, I would love to hear it! TIA!

I would definitely NOT use it. It holds too precious of cargo for me to take that chance on. Our insurance covered the cost of a new car seat when someone ran a red light and hit DH.

See, this is how I feel too. Since I don't get a Humvee to drive over the next person who pulls out in front of me, I think I will insist on a new car seat for the boy. :D

I concur with the other posters. If you have the money, and your insurance won't cover the cost, definitely replace the seat. If the insurance does, then you don't have to worry about the out-of-pocket expense, and you will lose maybe just a little less sleep over the safety of your child! :)

I would definitely NOT use it. It holds too precious of cargo for me to take that chance on. Our insurance covered the cost of a new car seat when someone ran a red light and hit DH.

:iagree: Dh rolled his truck onto its side about 5 years ago. He was alone, but had a car seat in the back. Insurance replaced it without any problem.

I'm so glad that you're ok!