Menu

toddler interests/future indications?

If your very young child loved to be read to, did this love of reading continue as they got older? Babies aren't really my thing, so I'm a little clueless here. :tongue_smilie:My understanding is that pretty much all young children like books, but I know that not all school-age children enjoy reading. What am I missing? As a side question, does this love tend to produce a child who learns to read earlier, or not?

I did a research paper on the influence of reading aloud to kiddos and how early they read--there's some evidence that early readers have been read to alot (I'm not phrasing this well!)--but I don't know if it's really just a correlation or a causation.

My dd LOVED to be read to, even as a baby, and does now love to read. She read her first 3 letter, CVC word at 3yo. But that's pretty incidental. My second son was read to but hates to read. My firstborn son liked reading, was read to alot also, but didn't learn to read until he was 7. Go figure.

If your very young child loved to be read to, did this love of reading continue as they got older? Babies aren't really my thing, so I'm a little clueless here. :tongue_smilie:My understanding is that pretty much all young children like books, but I know that not all school-age children enjoy reading. What am I missing? As a side question, does this love tend to produce a child who learns to read earlier, or not?

I imagine the love of reading would continue if the child was continued to be exposed to good books that appealed to them.

School turns many a child off books and reading. Its not teh age of teh child- its the environment.

My 7yo son didnt like to read, and couldnt really read, when I pulled him out of school to homeschool. I read aloud to him for an hour a day and made him read a short time each day, and he became a big reader, and still is, at 13. He is also dyslexic.

I think early reading may come from a combination of genetics and inclination/interest.

Early readers dont necessarily stay ahead...its not necessarily a huge advantage..but you cant stop some kids.

I think the best thing to encourage a lifelong love of reading is to read aloud to the child daily. I still read aloud to my teens- and they are both good readers. Some kids dont like it- and you just have to accept that- but I think most do.

I have two that loved to be read to when they were little. I have one child who wouldn't sit still for it. The first two are avid readers, and advanced in reading. The other one still says she doesn't like to read, not that she can't, she just doesn't like too. I think genetics has a lot to do w/ it. In my family, my brother is the only one I know of that isn't a reader, Dh is a huge reader, but his dad and bros. don't like to read either.