Menu

Is there a spelling program that....

mystika1

How old is your daughter? Phonetic Zoo put out by IEW(excellenceinwriting.com) is set up like this. However, it is recommended for students age 9+. I tried it with my 8 year old and it was too difficult for us to do now.

I second this program! My ds LOVES it! He is not a great speller, but this program has really raised his confidence level.

I'm a WRTR user and I usually recommend this, but since you want a rule per week type of program, you might look at Natural Speller by Kathryn Stout. I've used it and found it to be very effective. This is not a workbook program. As the teacher, you would decide which rule you want to go over. She lists the rules in the back of the book. Then you would go to the grade level list where the words are listed. Words are grouped according phonics/rules similarities.

For example: Use "ay" at the end of words ending with the long a sound.

stay, may, day, today, bay, ray, etc.

HTH,

Jennifer

Spelling Plus by Susan C Anthony does this. And there is a dictation book to go along with each word list.

:iagree:

Spelling plus and spelling dictation. You may or may not need the dictation book, I would try just the first book and then the dictation book if you need dictation practice to make the words stick.

teaches a new spelling rule each week and gives a list of words to match the rule? I really think this would work very well with my daughter. I don't need fancy tiles and such.

Thanks,

Penny

Penny,

All About Spelling does this, and you don't have to use or even buy the tiles.

Heather