Menu

Can I switch to Singapore from Horizons?

Jayne J

We are currently using Horizons 1 for ds in first grade. For various reasons, I am contemplating switching to Singapore next year, and wonder if that would cause problems. The reason I shied away from Singapore originally was that it sounded complicated, and like the methods were really different from "standard" math books. So, if ds didn't start in Singapore, will he be confused if we switch?

(I am thinking that I read that Singapore teaches different ways of counting/place value/carrying, and maybe even different words for the numbers...this is all from my research over a year ago, so I may be confusing it with something else...)

Thanks for the information. I thought I remembered that Singapore didn't teach the names for 11-19 until later and instead called them "ten-ty one, tenty-two tenty-three", etc to help with confusion and build base ten thinking. Maybe I got it wrong... But I thought that even the number names were different, we'd be in for a wild ride! :001_smile:Thanks again!

Switching won't be a big deal at all. That said, I prefer to use Singapore and Horizons both -- I feel the relative strengths of the programs complement each other well.

With the number words, I believe you're thinking about another program. Perhaps MUS or RightStart?

I researched so many programs that my brain turned to mush, so it is entirely possible! I am really glad to hear that, because Singapore had always been my front runner, until I heard the number name thing--or so I thought.

I am switching mainly because ds catches on very quickly (so far) and gets really frustrated by the spiral--returning to review something he already knows drives him insane. That said, I'd love to know how you combine Horizons and Singapore.:bigear:

Switching won't be a big deal at all. That said, I prefer to use Singapore and Horizons both -- I feel the relative strengths of the programs complement each other well.

With the number words, I believe you're thinking about another program. Perhaps MUS or RightStart?

:iagree:I skipped Primary 1 with my dd and started her in 2A. We had no problems. We've used Horizons and Singapore simultaneously and found them to be a great combo. BTW, Singapore does use eleven, twelve, thirteen, etc. They teach kids to think of them as 10 &1, 10 & 2, 10 & 3, etc. The terminology of Singapore is not so different, but it's teaching strategies are different. I think their methods of teaching problem solving strategies are brilliant.

Jennifer

You could easily start in 2A. Singapore teaches the standard algorithms and the standard words. However, the mental math component is critical to the success of the program as well as using the bar diagrams for the word problems. Once you see what they're doing with those two things, it won't seem as complicated.

There is a book called Elementary Mathematics for Teachers that explains the "Singapore way". I recommend it to anyone new to Singapore math. It also helps you understand the big picture, why what you're doing in 2nd grade math is important in 5th grade math, and so forth.

The switch should be fairly smooth but you don't want to jump straight across and follow Horizons 1 with Singapore 2. We finished Horizons 2 and went right over to Singapore 2 perfectly-- going to 3 would have been WAY too much and we could have really started at 1B more comfortably....S is more advanced and takes a different approach that must be adjusted to. It is incredible though and simple to teach...very effective, quick lessons that stick. Starting this young you will see the full benefit of the program, especially if you start at the beginning. :001_smile:

Be sure you take the placement test and use real objects for teaching the lessons! It makes a huge difference in understanding!

We were using Horizons 1 last year at the start of the year and supplementing with Singapore. DS didn't like Horizons and only wanted Singapore, so we dropped Horizons mid-year. The transition was smooth. I added IP & CWP for more practice to make me feel more comfortable since I was used to Horizons more traditional way vs. Singapore's mental math.

Thanks for the information. I thought I remembered that Singapore didn't teach the names for 11-19 until later and instead called them "ten-ty one, tenty-two tenty-three", etc to help with confusion and build base ten thinking. Maybe I got it wrong... But I thought that even the number names were different, we'd be in for a wild ride! :001_smile:Thanks again!

MUS teaches the tenty-one way, and, to be honest, I found that quite helpful because my younger two would invert the digits in the teens because they wrote them in the order they said them (seventeen would be 71, and I can understand why they did that because the teens are the only group of numbers that are said in reverse.)

You could easily start in 2A. Singapore teaches the standard algorithms and the standard words. However, the mental math component is critical to the success of the program as well as using the bar diagrams for the word problems. Once you see what they're doing with those two things, it won't seem as complicated.

There is a book called Elementary Mathematics for Teachers that explains the "Singapore way". I recommend it to anyone new to Singapore math. It also helps you understand the big picture, why what you're doing in 2nd grade math is important in 5th grade math, and so forth.

Thanks--I couldn't remember the name of that book. There used to be another great book out that did that, but it's gone out of print (I have it, but there's no point in recommending it because last time I checked the used copy prices on Amazon were highly inflated.)

The switch should be fairly smooth but you don't want to jump straight across and follow Horizons 1 with Singapore 2. We finished Horizons 2 and went right over to Singapore 2 perfectly-- going to 3 would have been WAY too much and we could have really started at 1B more comfortably....S is more advanced and takes a different approach that must be adjusted to. It is incredible though and simple to teach...very effective, quick lessons that stick. Starting this young you will see the full benefit of the program, especially if you start at the beginning. :001_smile:

Be sure you take the placement test and use real objects for teaching the lessons! It makes a huge difference in understanding!

I disagree, I think the PP can go right into Singapore 2A. In my experience (Singapore 1B-2B and Horizons 2, book 2) Horizons gets through more breadth while Singapore goes in more depth (not saying one is better; different styles work for different kids). At the end of Horizons 1, I would expect that the child has had practice with concepts that will be introduced in Sing. 2A but will get to work further in the concepts in 2A.

We got halfway through Singapore 2B before switching to Horizons 2 book 2 (so going the other direction) and we were able to jump right in and catch up on the concepts that Singapore hadn't introduced yet. I am SO glad we switched though as DS readily absorbs the new concepts and loves all the review. Once we finish Horizons 2/2 we will finish the Sing. 2B workbook and cruise through as it will be mostly review with a slightly different perspective. Then, I expect we'll do the first book of Horizons 3 and then cruise through Singapore 3A, etc.

I would guess that Singapore 2 is working especially well for your child after Horizons 2 because he is already proficient in the basic steps and Singapore can stretch him a little further. I think you could have moved into Singapore 3 easily, if you devoted extra time to teach the model method and helped him through the word problems until he got used to them.

Thank you everyone for your replies--my fears are laid to rest and I will probably be starting ds in Singapore next year. (I'm too cheap to switch mid-year, if the program is workable:001_smile:) Sounds like Singapore will be a good fit for my ds, although, I may be supplementing with Horizons as well-it sounds like maybe the two would work well together.

That'll teach me to do more thorough research next time! Can't believe I avoided a program due to a problem that didn't exist!:tongue_smilie:

Edited by urpedonmommy