Menu

Need suggestions for college and career Sunday School class

My dh and I have taught the college and career class at our church for over a year but during this time the class has been under the "control" of the pastor's wife. Things were kept very "stifled" and traditional. - Not that I have anything against traditional when it works but sometimes it is nice to shake things up a bit - especially when it comes to reaching college kids. The opening part of the class was always her standing up there asking for praise and prayer requests, writing them on a big sheet of paper, then leading in prayer. There is certainly nothing wrong with that. However, now that she has retired we are trying to be creative and just do things differently. My dh is still teaching so the Word will remain strong and unchanged - but the atmosphere could sure use some loosening up. Do you have any suggestions for how to warmly, creatively and invitingly open up the class in a way that makes college kids feel comfortable and glad to be there?

Food and coffee. They love to talk while eating, and providing a time for this makes it a little more casual and friendly.

You could change things around from week to week. Maybe one week do the prayer requests the way that has been done before, another week do it in small groups of 2 - 4 people, just to change things up.

Can you meet where there are couches and comfy chairs instead of in a room with folding chairs? (I am assuming you are meeting in a traditional room with the usual portrable chairs, so this may already be your style). This contributes to a less formal, more inviting atmosphere.

Icebreakers are so much fun! You could do one of those at the start of every class.

Communicate by email. Maybe the class could email you praises and prayer requests....you can compile a list.....then email a mass email to the whole class. College and career should be big into technology and communicating.

Have a question/answer day. Everyone submits anonymous questions (you could set out a box for a few weeks and people can write down their question and put it into the box) and then your DH looks over the questions, researches Biblical answers, and goes over the questions/answers one week.

I agree with the atmosphere. While our class is not college/career of course, our atmostphere is comfy. Instead of rows of chairs, we have some round tables with chairs around them. There's also two couches and two recliners around the sides of the room as well. We also have lots of food/drink each Sunday morning.

In a study group or Sunday School class, there might be topics that I'd bring up for prayer that I wouldn't want put into an email. Once something is emailed, there are no controls on how or where it is forwarded. Email is awesome for reminders and invites and other harmless uses. But I would personally not be as open about struggles in an email format.

I have liked it when a prayer request was immediately followed by, "who will pray for that?"