Menu

Homeschooling Downs Syndrome Child

I have a friend that just had a Down Syndrome baby, and doesn't know anyone who homeschools their DS child. I'm doing a little checking around to see if anyone on this forum has decided to homeschool their DS child. My friend would do great with some encouragement on this front.

Do you homeschool your Downs Syndrome child? If so, how do you do it? What materials do you use? Do you use a tutor, or any help from therapists as well?

Also, do you know of any homeschool "groups" online or otherwise that provide support for this? Thanks!!

I have a friend that just had a Down Syndrome baby, and doesn't know anyone who homeschools their DS child. I'm doing a little checking around to see if anyone on this forum has decided to homeschool their DS child. My friend would do great with some encouragement on this front.

Do you homeschool your Downs Syndrome child? If so, how do you do it? What materials do you use? Do you use a tutor, or any help from therapists as well?

Also, do you know of any homeschool "groups" online or otherwise that provide support for this? Thanks!!

We have a family in our co-op, and in our Classical Conversations, that has a Downs little boy who is 6. I'm not sure the exact details of how they homeschool him (he's the youngest of 6), but I want to say that he participates in our co-op (he's in with his age group, which includes my 6 year old son), and also in CC (he doesn't do everything, but he is such a happy boy. He loves to watch what's going on). It has been GREAT for all the other kids to be around someone with special needs in these situations, and they all know and love him and watch out for him. My 6 y/o considers him a friend and doesn't even really know there's something "wrong" with him. We were at a retreat over Labor Day, and there was a family there with a 4 y/o Downs boy. My son said, "Samuel is such a nice boy! And he looks like Brian!" [the other Downs boy we know] This was said in such a happy way that you could tell he was just excited about making another friend!

So while I don't know specifics, I want to encourage your friend that homeschooling and having her son interact with a variety of kids could be a blessing for the OTHER kids, not just her own!

I homeschool my son who has autism. Your friend might find the Illinois Christian Home Educators website helpful. Several parents of special needs children have compiled a "resource list".

http://www.iche.org/pages/special/

Workboxes are a great way to help organize a child with special needs.

Here is a great link that might be helpful . . .

http://www.dotolearn.com/

If I can be helpful to your friend in any way please feel free to pass along my email.

Adrianne Elbe

jeffelbe@att.net

You've been directed to some good resources. One note - Down's Syndrome can mean a big range of ability. I tutored one girl with Down's who could read at a 3rd grade level, do basic math etc. We worked on those skills but also lots of life skills (simple cooking, housecleaning, even paying bills) for semi-independent living. My nephew with Down's can only read at a first grade level and while he can count, he can't really add etc. He has a fair number of life skills down too but they don't include things like bill paying. So curriculum choices will really depend on what level they are working at.