Menu

books on tape....but online?

I am wondering if there is a website out there, somewhere, such that you an log in and hear a book on tape, preferably for free?

I'm not talking about podcasts. I want to go to a site (at work, teaching adult education) and have my class listen to a book or a portion of a book.

KWIM? Does this make any sense? Like youtube, but with books?

Thanks in advance,

astrid

Yes, definitely check your library. Ours uses Overdrive, and we can check out up to 5 (or is it 6?) books at a time per card, keep them for a week and then they disappear from your computer, freeing up your ability to check out more. The cool thing is that you can load them to your mp3 player (and some titles even allow you to burn cds) and, of course, those stay until you delete them. Very cool resource. And totally free (you can't even accumulate late fees!)

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. Unfortunately, our local library has a pathetic offering of audiobooks, and now I'm itching for that wonderful service you described, LauraGB!

Nestof3, thanks for the librivox link. I'll definitely check it out. I want to change things up a bit this semester with my ESL and GED classes.

Thanks!

astrid

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. Unfortunately, our local library has a pathetic offering of audiobooks, and now I'm itching for that wonderful service you described, LauraGB!

Nestof3, thanks for the librivox link. I'll definitely check it out. I want to change things up a bit this semester with my ESL and GED classes.

Thanks!

astrid

The entire state of WI library system is tied to this resource. Perhaps you can check into other counties in your state, see what they have to offer and get a card from them?

Thanks!

astrid

Just to let you know, these are actually different than what the library has on their shelves.

We used to use a different system that had all of the Redwall on audio. Our library now uses Overdrive, which is great, but it doesn't offer Redwall. :tongue_smilie:

So, check your library just in case. :D

OK, I just did some quick Googling, and I found out that any CT resident can get a library card at the Westport Public Library:

Connecticut Residents (outside of Westport): On-line registration is not available.

Bring your up-to-date local library card to the Westport Public Library (directions to the Library) and register in-person to borrow items from the Westport Public Library.

Then, you have these options:

http://www.westportlibrary.org/newrecommend/digitalaudio/instructions.html

That might be a lot to ask of your students. Could be good for personal use though!