Menu

Does anyone know what this is (with my fridge)?

Three refrigerators in my kitchens have now had this problem. It has to be my own ignorance causing it. I never took an appliance care class. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

First, the fridge gets wet. Water is dripping off the interior ceiling of it, and the shelves are always wet.

Then, the freezer gets super super cold. Things are painfully, horribly frozen.

Finally, the fridge just stops keeping things cold altogether.

No adjusting the stat makes anything change.

I just bought this fridge a couple of years ago. I like it. It's pretty. And big. What am I doing wrong?

Have you cleaned out the drip pan thingy under the fridge (I sound like an expert, huh? "thingy")?

Also, if you pull out the drawers (on most fridges anyway), there's a collection well type thingamajig (must more expert-like ;) ), sometimes that gets stopped up.

Sounds like an air flow problem to me :) Obviously I'm an expert, but you could take a gander and see if those things are clogged... if you've never done this they could be stomach turning (just fyi).

We owned an appliance business ten years ago; I'll ask dh as soon as he's available.

What brand? Side by side or freezer on top/bottom? Ice maker or no? On an exterior wall or an interior wall? How many pets do you have and do they shed? Any possibility your floors are exceptionally uneven?

Those are all questions he'll ask. :)

Three refrigerators in my kitchens have now had this problem. It has to be my own ignorance causing it. I never took an appliance care class. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

First, the fridge gets wet. Water is dripping off the interior ceiling of it, and the shelves are always wet.

Then, the freezer gets super super cold. Things are painfully, horribly frozen.

Finally, the fridge just stops keeping things cold altogether.

No adjusting the stat makes anything change.

I just bought this fridge a couple of years ago. I like it. It's pretty. And big. What am I doing wrong?

A few questions?

When you say 3 fridges have had the same problem, were they 3 different models over a few years time, or were they 3 of the same fridge that keeps getting replaced?

Do you pull out your fridge periodically and vacuum the back coils, clean the vent under the fridge and do you have a little clearance between the fridge and the wall/upper cabinet? Do you have a lot of dust in your house (not saying you don't clean, but some climates are more dusty) or pets? Do you have a climate control switch that you have tried to switch to the alternate direction? Do you have power surges in your area, that may be messing with the electronics?

Have you cleaned out the drip pan thingy under the fridge (I sound like an expert, huh? "thingy")?

Well, an expert compared to me. I didn't know there was a drip pan thingy under the fridge. My parents wanted me to have a career and a maid.

if you've never done this they could be stomach turning (just fyi).

Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to have my partner clean these things ASAP. ;)

This sounds like what happens to my garage fridge every summer. It just freaks over the temperature differential, I guess.

Anyway, how full do you keep your freezer? DH had a theory that a full freezer would help. He filled a couple of empty containers with water and put them in the freezer to occupy any unused space. Keeping the freezer full stops the dripping.

Also, if it is a water-dispensing fridge, you may need to change the filter. There may also be a filter to your automatic icemaker, if you have one, that needs to be changed.

One more thing I would look at is changing any tubing that leads from the wall into your fridge (again, for an icemaker or integrated water dispenser). DH is always sure to get a fresh one with every move and has said that they do need replacement from time to time.

A few questions?

Sure! Thanks for helping!

When you say 3 fridges have had the same problem, were they 3 different models over a few years time, or were they 3 of the same fridge that keeps getting replaced?

One was here when we moved in, and had this problem already. We replaced it with a used fridge that shortly developed the same problem. That one we were able to send back, get our money back. We then brought a brand new fridge from Sears and it's lasted longer but is having the same symptoms. They were three different models.

Do you pull out your fridge periodically and vacuum the back coils, clean the vent under the fridge and do you have a little clearance between the fridge and the wall/upper cabinet?

There's nothing above the fridge (1930s kitchen). We do pull out the fridge periodically and vacuum all round it for dust, but just a surface vacuuming 'cause apparently I'm the dumbest fridge owner on the planet. I am so. glad. I asked you guys for help, even if it does reveal my terrifying lack of homemaking skills.

Do you have a lot of dust in your house (not saying you don't clean, but some climates are more dusty) or pets?

Yeah, it does get dusty here fast. I have three cats and a dog.

Do you have a climate control switch that you have tried to switch to the alternate direction?

Climate control switch?

Do you have power surges in your area, that may be messing with the electronics?

No, we don't have those.

Thanks for all the stuff to look into.

We owned an appliance business ten years ago; I'll ask dh as soon as he's available.

Gosh, thank you, but I'm guessing based on what others have said that this is a failure-to-clean problem, and I have just called and lined up the Daddio for taking apart the fridge and finding things to clean. I would hate to bug your husband. It feels like asking a doctor for free medical advice.

The freezer is on the top. It's a Kenmore. No ice maker. It's on an exterior wall. I have three cats and a dog and they all shed. My floors are definitely exceptionally uneven; my house is old and we are the first people who have loved it in many years. But I didn't think it was that much of a difference where the refrigerator is. That's the reason it's on that exterior wall.

Also, if you pull out the drawers (on most fridges anyway), there's a collection well type thingamajig (must more expert-like ;) ), sometimes that gets stopped up.

Sounds like an air flow problem to me :) Obviously I'm an expert, but you could take a gander and see if those things are clogged... if you've never done this they could be stomach turning (just fyi).

That is nbr. 2, you are on a roll.

I think you sound just like an appliance repair man.

Cleaning is always good -- thus my question about the pets (we have three cats, I shudder to think what my coils must look like). That's a good place to start -- but --

Dh says typically this is a defrost problem; defrost timers are common parts to go out on refrigerators -- push against the back wall of the refrigerator and see if it sounds "crunchy" or if there seems to be excess ice there. In a Kenmore of recent model, the defrost timer is typically in the refrigerator section, near the top -- has a little round cover about the size of a nickel. If you look up in there, you'll see a dial that you can turn -- it only turns one way. You want to turn that with your finger or screwdriver until you feel it drop in and hear a "click".

The old wiring in your house could likely lead to power fluctuations (typical of older houses) and causes a problem with "dirty power" -- makes defrost timers (which typically go out every three or four years!!!!) even more prone to malfunction in top mount refrigerators.

Your manual likely will not have information on the defrost timer -- dh says this is the "cash cow" of refrigerator repairs!! However, you can google for information and more help.

For part numbers, etc -- dh suggests repairclinic.com.

Now, if you don't hear any kind of crunchy sound -- make sure you hear the fan running in the freezer. If you don't hear the fan running, send me a pm. :tongue_smilie:

Yes ma'am, that'll be two-fifty... we had to replace the whatchamacallit. Since it went bad we also had to take out the thingy, it was so badly corroded we had to use our superduperrusteraser.

Hey, I feel like I'm back in my old appliance store -- telling people that they need new agit dogs or wig wags for their washer.

No kidding. Those are actual part names (and parts that often needed to be replaced -- we kept them in stock for all the popular models).

I don't think people took me very seriously.