Menu

Has anyone made miso soup?

How did you do it? I'm looking for something simple here. Do I really need to use dashi, or can I substitute some other kind of broth/stock? If I buy dashi in the store (which I'd prefer, I'm just not up for making stock these days), what kind should I buy? Does it generally have MSG in it?

I already have the miso paste (Miso Master Organic sweet white miso, refrigerated).

Any tips would be most welcome. TIA!

Heat water to the point where you can stick your finger in without burning it. Then add the miso paste and stir. If you want to add veggies or something, cook them in the water, then cool to finger temperature and add the miso.

If you're really interested in getting experimenting with miso, buy a cookbook. I've had fun with this one: http://www.amazon.com/Miso-Book-Art-Cooking/dp/0757000282

Rosie

The miso is added at the end of cooking the soup.

Different types vary in the degree of saltiness. My current "love" is chickpea miso. One way I use it is in a soup composed of onions (sauteed in olive oil), tomatoes, rice, and the chickpea miso. When money is more abundant, I add green peppers and shrimp (or fish) to this same soup.

We had a Japanese lady staying with us and she made Miso soup once. I was surprised at the technique for adding the Miso. She added it at the end by stiring it through a sieve and removing the larger chunks. It made the soup smoother.....I always just added a big spoonful at the right temp. and let it sink to the bottom. :001_huh: Shows how much I know!

GL!

I make the soup stock first. In a mortar bowl, I drop a couple of dollops of miso, pour a small amount of warm stock into the bowl and use the pestle to help it break down. You can strain the liquid if you wish. Or not. Sometimes I don't. I like it basic-- carrot match sticks, chopped scallions, maybe some peas or cubed tofu.

I love miso. All kinds.

I have also boiled a bunch of garlic cloves, mashed them up with the miso in the mortar & pestle and had it has a tonic when we're feeling under the weather. Miso is super- salty, so you can hold off on additional salt when making the stock.

IMO, you don't need Dashi.

I make miso soup all the time without stock, just with the pot-stock of boiled vegetables I include in the soup.

If you do make Dashi, just use dried bonito flakes.

I never boil the miso. I put it in a separate bowl, add some stock/water to it, stir to a nice consistency, and then add back to the soup (off the fire).

Dried seaweeds are a nice addition.

Enjoy!

Bill

IMO, you don't need Dashi.

I make miso soup all the time without stock, just with the pot-stock of boiled vegetables I include in the soup.

Exactly what we do. I use my crockpot 2-3 times a week and I save the broth left in the pot and use it for miso soup. Good stuff!