Menu

How old for Nancy Drew Read Aloud?

shinyhappypeople

I just read The Boxcar Children to my 6 yo DD and she *loved* it. Do you think she's old enough for Nancy Drew? It's been at least 25 years since I read them (I feel old now :tongue_smilie:) but I don't remember anything bad about them. I'm wondering, though, if she'd relate as well to an older heroine? I dunno. She gets very annoyed when we try to read "baby" books to her (pictures books for the 4-6 age range).

Thoughts?

You might look at the SL lists for read alouds. I personally would leave the Nancy Drews till later, when she'll read them for herself. They're a bit more potato chippy, not exactly quality literature. At that age my dd enjoyed:

Chronicles of Narnia

Little House on the Prairie

Charlotte's Web

Uncle Remus

the Lang Fairy Tale books (there are tons of these!)

anything from SL

Usborne Time Traveller and well anything Usborne

I'd certainly try. I think I started reading them by myself at about 8 or 9 and I don't remember anything that stood out to me at the time. I've read them recently and still nothing questionable Recently I read our little girls one of the Junior Nancy Drew books. Awful. I'd just skip those and go straight to the classic Nancy Drew (or Hardy Boys) books. I prefer the original stories also and not the Case File books or whatever those were called. As I remember those were a little more mature with dating and jealously and what not.

I'm a HUGE Nancy Drew fan though. I can't wait to get my girls reading them!

I'd certainly try. I think I started reading them by myself at about 8 or 9 and I don't remember anything that stood out to me at the time. I've read them recently and still nothing questionable Recently I read our little girls one of the Junior Nancy Drew books. Awful. I'd just skip those and go straight to the classic Nancy Drew (or Hardy Boys) books. I prefer the original stories also and not the Case File books or whatever those were called. As I remember those were a little more mature with dating and jealously and what not.

I'm a HUGE Nancy Drew fan though. I can't wait to get my girls reading them!

That's good to know about the classics versus case files. I definitely don't want to introduce any romantic elements. She's precocious in so many ways, I don't want to go there until we have to. Although, I already have introduced her to the storyline of Pride and Prejudice... but that's different. That's Jane Austen :)

My almost-8 yr old eats through books like I do with certain chocolately snacks - VERY quickly! She went through the Boxcar Children series and eventually found Trixie Belden. She LOVED them. She really liked the "mystery" aspect. She did move onto the classic Nancy Drews and liked them very much as well - although she prefers Trixie. I did not find anything inappropriate in the classic Nancy Drew books. (There is some sibling in-fighting between Trixie & her older brother, Mart in the Trixie books. She also is allowed to duck some chores sometimes, especially watching her younger brother. We discussed these things as well as how she matures in her sibling relationship over the course of the book series.)

I personally wouldn't do these as read alouds. Have you tried AA Milne (Pooh)? I liked the _real_ Pooh characters much better than the shortened / adapted stories.

Good luck!

My dd really began enjoying Nancy Drews at about 8 yo. Now she collects them even though they are way below her reading level nowl. That 7.5 to 9 yo age group is when she thought they were the best.

I recently have been reading Nancy Drews as I didn't read many as a child. Nowadays, i like to read potato chippy books at night.

We got the Mystery and Lilac Inn on tape and that was her first Nancy Drew....the family enjoyed it on a car trip, even my then 6 yo son.

THe list above though sounds about right for read alouds.

All the E.B. White books

Little House Books

The Frog princess books

American Girl books

I personally think that anything is fair game for a read aloud. If it is above their own personal comprehension level, simply plan to go slow and discuss terms, themes, situations more often.

I've read some pretty mature books to my twins for read alouds. They do fine. Some of it goes over their heads, but they always get the gist of the story. I also figure that they can go back and read it on their own later.

My daughter was a precocious reader (she read the full, unabridged Little Women in 1st grade), but Nancy Drew in kindergarten scared her. The ghosts, of course, turn out not to be ghosts, but still--it turned her off of the series. If I had made her wait a year or two, she might have appreciated it more.

Terri

I was a HUGE Nancy Drew fan and still have all the old copies. I re-read them recently on a trip home and was surprised by some of the dated language and stereotypes. That being said, I got one of the new Nancy Drew books for my daughter and it was TERRIBLE. Not interesting, poorly written and simply pandering to what they think today's girls would be interested in. I would recommend reading the old versions but take the time to discuss those ideas or words that we no longer find appropriate.