Menu

Anyone use the Self-Teaching Method??

Caroline4kids

OK, I have an 11 year old who has been doing wonderfully with Systematic Mathematics. I don't do ANYTHING and this kid only missed 5 problems out of 60 lessons!----and this is from a kid that routinely failed many other math curriculums. He is also doing Rod and Staff 5 primarily on his own. I give him the student book, teacher's guide and let him have at it. He does do the tests and I check those, but he is managing over 90% on all of those so far.... Tell Me More Spanish is also self teaching and piano (Simply Music) same thing...

I guess my point is he seems to do better when I step back and let him learn at his own pace, but keep him accountable here and there.

I am thinking of just saying "You are covering Roman history this year, google away..."

Just wondering.:)

I would like to have more discussion with them, but they prefer to delve into their work and only ask me for the minimal assistance.

It seems my dh and I are the same. We read and research topics which interest us (and there are many!).

Both of my kids have mastered skills (computers, stop-action film making and performance arts) without any assistance from me. Just books, instructional DVDs and the internet.

For me, it depends on the subject and on balance over the week. I do think that there should be some discussion in the curriculum, in order for the child to bounce ideas off someone else and develop a point of view. Calvin does Life of Fred pretty much independently, for example, but we are working through The Merchant of Venice together, discussing as we go.

Laura

If you are interested in more information from moms who let children do self-teaching, you can check out Joanne Calderwood's self learning yahoo group - (not unschooling btw, just helping dc set goals for the semester and they learn it on their own) - the yahoo group is RasingSL4Life- Raising self learners for life.

My dream child!

I don't think I'd say "google away." Instead, provide one or two books that could be considered as course spines then let him take it from there.

Have fun!

Yeah, I know.:tongue_smilie: I would never actually do that because I am too conservative and paranoid about the internet, but the thought crosses my mind every now and again.:)

If you are interested in more information from moms who let children do self-teaching, you can check out Joanne Calderwood's self learning yahoo group - (not unschooling btw, just helping dc set goals for the semester and they learn it on their own) - the yahoo group is RasingSL4Life- Raising self learners for life.

Thanks!!!

OK, I have an 11 year old who has been doing wonderfully with Systematic Mathematics. I don't do ANYTHING and this kid only missed 5 problems out of 60 lessons!----and this is from a kid that routinely failed many other math curriculums. He is also doing Rod and Staff 5 primarily on his own. I give him the student book, teacher's guide and let him have at it. He does do the tests and I check those, but he is managing over 90% on all of those so far.... Tell Me More Spanish is also self teaching and piano (Simply Music) same thing...

I guess my point is he seems to do better when I step back and let him learn at his own pace, but keep him accountable here and there.

I am thinking of just saying "You are covering Roman history this year, google away..."

Just wondering.:)

Just curious....what level are is your son using for Systematic Mathematics? I also have an 11 year old that seems to hate his Math. And I think he would thrive without me involved in the teaching so much. We used the Strayor Upton over the summer (briefly)...the first book. And he really liked it. But being that the first book begins in 3rd grade, I was hesitant to use that as our main curriculum. I was just using it as a supplement for practice over the summer. My son is not ready for the Systematic Math videos yet as he is still learning long division. He is "officially" in 5th grade this year even though he is 11 and just finished Level D of Rightstart. We're in Level E now. Where did you start with your son in SM and what age? Thanks!

I think it's great that he's independent, by the way, he can still join in with the family during read-alouds and fun science projects, etc. I agree with the other posters...this is our goal! Self-Learners.

Kim