Menu

WHOA! Court orders hs girl to attend ps....to expose her to "different points of view

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203440104574398963953876266.html?mod=loomia&loomia_si=t0:a16:g2:r3:c0.00589273:b27603178

(sorry it's so long)

You can also search for "Christian Girls, Interrupted" which is the title if the link doesn't work. William McGurn of the WSJ is the author.

Let's pray this doesn't hold. It certainly isn't supported legally.

Here is the previous thread on the topic if you're curious.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124480&highlight=court+order

I posted the actual court papers for people to review if they were interested. It seems like a really nasty divorce case. If they weren't fighting about homeschool I'm sure they would find something else to fight about. And unfortunately the kids get stuck in the middle of that crap.

This sounds to me like a divorce issue that has been slanted to sound more interesting. I obviously could be wrong. I think the other girl's story is much more significant and complicated, and I'm not sure why it wasn't the main focus of the article.

It's been all over the news here. I am really surprised that they haven't just sent the girl home. Would they have had it been the other way around - a Christian girl became Muslim and ran off to a mosque she found on Facebook? I keep going back and forth about it. If her father did threaten to kill her, then he should be in jail and she should be in foster care. If he didn't, then she should go home, even if that means she cannot be a practicing Christian right now (she will be 18 next year.)

I think the second case sets a very disturbing precedent - more so than the first case (which is a case where the father wants her in school.)

It's been all over the news here. I am really surprised that they haven't just sent the girl home. Would they have had it been the other way around - a Christian girl became Muslim and ran off to a mosque she found on Facebook? I keep going back and forth about it. If her father did threaten to kill her, then he should be in jail and she should be in foster care. If he didn't, then she should go home, even if that means she cannot be a practicing Christian right now (she will be 18 next year.)

I think the second case sets a very disturbing precedent - more so than the first case (which is a case where the father wants her in school.)

I can't really decide what I think. Just because you can't prove something, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. At the same time, what would happen if we allowed children to leave their parents based on heresay? It does seem strange that she's living with some people she met on Facebook. Realistically, would someone even be sent to jail for something like that, something that can't even be proven? At despite what some people seem to think, it is very difficult for a child to be removed from the home. The foster care system almost always favors blood ties, even to the detriment of the child. I don't want the court to tell me how to raise my kids, but I also believe that children are human beings who have rights as well. I don't know what they should do in this situation. Can't she be emmancipated?

I can't really decide what I think. Just because you can't prove something, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. At the same time, what would happen if we allowed children to leave their parents based on heresay? It does seem strange that she's living with some people she met on Facebook. Realistically, would someone even be sent to jail for something like that, something that can't even be proven? At despite what some people seem to think, it is very difficult for a child to be removed from the home. The foster care system almost always favors blood ties, even to the detriment of the child. I don't want the court to tell me how to raise my kids, but I also believe that children are human beings who have rights as well. I don't know what they should do in this situation. Can't she be emmancipated?

On the news yesterday morning, her lawyer said his plan was to drag this out until she was 18. Emancipation may happen. The parents insist they are not fundamentalist Muslims and point to her lifestyle prior to this, most notable that she was a cheerleader and that a fundamentalist Muslim wouldn't allow that.

I wouldn't disown or punish a child for choosing a different religion, no matter how upset I would be. A forced faith is no faith at all. However, it seems that her parents still have a right to rear her as they see fit, even if that means not allowing her to practice Christianity, as long as she is not harmed.

I think you are right, though, that it can't be proved without a witness. All the court can do is to try and figure out her best interests. It's pretty impossible to force an older teen to do anything, though!

On the news yesterday morning, her lawyer said his plan was to drag this out until she was 18. Emancipation may happen. The parents insist they are not fundamentalist Muslims and point to her lifestyle prior to this, most notable that she was a cheerleader and that a fundamentalist Muslim wouldn't allow that.

I wouldn't disown or punish a child for choosing a different religion, no matter how upset I would be. A forced faith is no faith at all. However, it seems that her parents still have a right to rear her as they see fit, even if that means not allowing her to practice Christianity, as long as she is not harmed.

I think you are right, though, that it can't be proved without a witness. All the court can do is to try and figure out her best interests. It's pretty impossible to force an older teen to do anything, though!

Oh, I 100% agree with the parents' right to raise their daughter with whatever religion they choose. I was just concerned about the supposed death threat. If that were not a factor, by all means, send her back! I do think it is disgusting that this other family SEEMS to have convinced her to do all of this though (I haven't read this anywhere, this is just my sense). I have a very hard time with Christian families who want their right to freedom of religion upheld, but don't believe that same right belongs to those of other religions.