Menu

If you wanted to hem a pair of jeans

Two right choices depending on your machine. :001_smile:

I've used the way Kim linked below and it's quick and easy. If you have a really good machine that can hem multiple layers of jean fabric and you are pretty relaxed with the whole hemming thing; purchase the right color thread and thickness and go the old fashioned route. Oh and doing a dark hem that matches the fabric of the jeans vs. the stitching can lengthen the look of the leg and be slimming:).

I like the method from the link, do you think it will work for boot cut jeans? I think I need to hem the pants almost 2 inches. I did read the note on the link about the flare, but I had trouble following that. I'm trying to picture it.

I may go the old fashion route, with a dark blue thread. I do think that would look nice.

Thanks for the help. I have never needed to hem pants. I'm 5'8 and don't usually have an issue with that. But my dd, while 5'6, has most of her length in her torso, so the pants are long.

The link was a blessing to me a few years ago. My dd needed all new jeans and they were all super long. The first one felt awkward and wrapping my mind around the hemming short cut took a leap of faith. But...all the pants turned out looking nice (Even on my junky sewing machine that wouldn't go through lots of layers.) and didn't take a lot of time or sewing skills. ;)

Do one pair and you might find yourself hooked on the method.

Guest Virginia Dawn

This method looks good if you don't need to shorten by more than 2 inches, but the flap of material at the bottom could be awkward or uncomfortable if you are really short like me and need to take up a lot.

I usually just cut off the extra length minus one inch. I zigzag around the cut edge then fold up about 1/2- 3/4 inch and sew close to the edge with thread that matches the color of the jeans. This keeps the cut edge from fraying and my sewing machine needle from breaking or jamming.

Yes, but the method calls for cutting off the flap so there is nothing left if you do. It felt strange, but worked and the pants have held up for a few years through lots of washings. I've also left the flap and been able to lengthen the pants later as my kid grew.

This method looks good if you don't need to shorten by more than 2 inches, but the flap of material at the bottom could be awkward or uncomfortable if you are really short like me and need to take up a lot.

I usually just cut off the extra length minus one inch. I zigzag around the cut edge then fold up about 1/2- 3/4 inch and sew close to the edge with thread that matches the color of the jeans. This keeps the cut edge from fraying and my sewing machine needle from breaking or jamming.