Menu

Need movie help! Have any "nice" ones (for adults) come out in the last couple years?

I know about Fireproof-that looks good. Maybe along the lines of "Miss Potter" or the one about Queen Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett, etc. (Doesn't have to be a chick flick.)

Dh and I don't watch many movies but we want to get a couple tonight and have no idea how to find a nice one that's pretty tame but still good! Thanks!

We loved 'Lars and the Real Girl.' Don't let the blurb on the back dissuade you. It's a quirky, funny, sweet movie with some laugh out loud parts. PG-13 with a couple of words and a bit of innuendo. ;) Very tame.

I love 'The Martian Child.' PG13, based loosely on a true story.

We loved 'Lars and the Real Girl.' Don't let the blurb on the back dissuade you. It's a quirky, funny, sweet movie with some laugh out loud parts. PG-13 with a couple of words and a bit of innuendo. ;) Very tame.

Lars and the Real Girl is excellent. So touching.

I also liked Arranged and The Visitor.

Miss Potter -- the story of Beatrix Potter. Very romantic and delightfully sad. Loved it! Extremely clean.

ETA--- Oops...just saw your *entire* original post :(-

How about Amazing Grace or Luther? Also, No Reservations (Catherine Zeta-Jones) is really nice, and so is Dan in Real Life.

I keep editing.... The Pursuit of Happyness (Will Smith), Ushpizin (indie from Israel), The Queen (with Helen Mirren, a bit of language...but a moving, interesting and compelling story)

Edited by BikeBookBread

Some Netflix we've watched recently (we watch as a family) & given 3+ stars:

New In Town

Danny Deckchair

October Sky

Forever Strong

Hidden Secrets (Christian movie, but different than Fireproof style)

Heart and Souls

Confessions of a Shopaholic

Outlander (rated R, but it's for the non-gory, Sci-Fi violence--not skin)

August Rush

Uncle Nino

The Inheritance

Frequency

Another vote for August Rush and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.:001_smile:

I also recently watched One Night With the King, and it was really good.

Trying to think of a few that aren't too chick-flickish.... Gran Torino, Australia, The Duchess (Keira Knightley), New in Town, The Ultimate Gift, and Return to Me (David Duchovny, not recent, but good).

I liked August Rush and Martian Child. October Sky is excellent. How about The Last Brickmaker in America or The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn (both with Sidney Poitier). I am David. I know it is cheesy in parts, but I loved The Librarian: Quest for the Spear (reminds me of National Treasure). Goodnight Mr. Tom is really sad, but a moving story set during WWII.

My two top recommendations would be Dear Frankie (with Gerard Butler) and Bella if you haven't already seen them.

Miss Potter with Renee Z was great! (so sweet & smart!):) Not mushy or too chick flick... lots of history to learn also.

May want to avoid Queen Elizabeth... (depending on the group) some sexuality & can be uncomfortable for many. I enjoyed it but they really didn't have to put some stuff in it. Hated the dancing scene with Sir Walter Raliegh... but Cate is awesome & tough!

Loved Amazing Grace.

Many loved FireProof but it was too mushy for me. The lady made me so frustrated with her games & emotions.... ugh! But, most women around here just gushed over it!

One Night with the King (story of Esther) was really sweet... perhaps not historically accurate, but there is so much there for discussion, etc.

The Nativity Story was good. Learn about the character of Joseph based upon what scripture tells us of him & the cultural expectations he faced, etc.

And TAKEN... it is PG-13 and has some violence, but if is the edgy type flick that 24 is on tv. It was a huge success. I loved it. The Dad is Liam Neeson and he is determined to get his daughter back from an abduction. Again, depends on the audience. Some women might wince at the fight/torture scenes.... if they like 24, they will like Taken.

Someone mentioned Luther... it is a few years old but A GREAT MOVIE! We have watched it multiple times!

We enjoyed Appaloosa & 3:10 to Yuma... but they are cowboy movies with some nudity and gun fighting. Very admirable characters in Viggo Mortenson, Christian Bale, and Ed Harris. Russell Crowe is good eye candy for the ladies... if the R rating isn't too offensive. Much like Elizabeth... need to know the taste (what is offensive) of your guests.

Guess you can tell that I don't like most chick flicks & I dont' like Movies that make me cry or feel sappy. I tend to lean toward the "guy list". I don't like a clean movie that fuzzies up morality... I tend to list tough movies with strong moral characters prevailing.

Edited by Dirtroad