Menu

Are there any websites that compare buy-as-you-go phones?

Tap

Ds is going to high school this year, and he is anti-cell phone, thinking that they are an extravagance that most kids don't need. (He truly loves a simple life-I think he is a monk at heart LOL) So, as a parent I would like him to carry one for emergencies, but hate to add one to my phone plan because I don't think he will use it for anything other than that.

What do I need to know about buying one? Are there any websites that compare buy-as-you-go phones?

this is a good site. I only use prepaid, and I'm cheap. For people like me the important features are minimum airtime, maximum phone activation service time. The cheapest I've found in this regard are T-mobile or Tracfone. T-mobile is very straightforward, with 1 year activation, 1000 min, for $100 (or $99.99....whatever). And I believe you get 10% more minutes every time you buy cards after that. You can get tracfones for 1 year, 400 min, for 99.99, but with their double min for life of phone it works out to 800 min per year. I know that there are special discount codes or extra minute codes to be found online for tracfone also, so it might jack them up to around 1000 min per year activation as well. Those 2 are the best deal. Net10 will only give you 1 year activation if you buy 1500 min of airtime ($150). Tracfone probably has the edge when it comes to roaming service. They contract with *everybody*, so you can get tracfone signal pretty much anywhere. With T-mobile it's pretty much anywhere there is t-mobile service (which for me is anywhere...you can check their service map). Good luck comparing. It's a maze. But I guarantee that these 2 will be the cheapest for the minutes/activation time.

Kayleen

I have been the in telecom/cellphone industry for 7 years or so (although the last few it's been very sporadic) and I would *highly* recommend Consumer Cellular over Tracfone (I don't rep CC by the way, I just know about them and used them for a time). For just $10/month you can have the most basic service where you pay .25/min. for calls (which is what Tracfone worked out to when I was using it). This is a great "emergency only" plan. The next step up is $20/mo. with which you get 250 minutes.

Here's why I love Consumer Cellular:

* NO contract!! Even though it's a monthly service.

* NO adding minutes/no expiring minutes.

* You can upgrade/downgrade *whenever you want* based on your minute useage (so if you're going to go over the 250, for example, you can pop online and upgrade to the next plan up instead of getting charged for extra minutes)

* The best customer service in the industry.

If you are a low minute user, I don't see any reason why tracfone should be .25c a minute. If you stick to your 800 min/year (with a year activation) for $100 it still only averages out to about 12c a minute with activation included. I have never seen a company with a monthly fee that averages out to lower that T-mobile or tracfone. How could $120 a year *just* for activation, PLUS .25c a minute for calls be cheaper than $100 a year, which includes activation and 800-1000 min for the whole year??? Help me out here. Doesn't compute. I'm not trying to dump on Consumer Cellular (I'm sure it's a good company), I'm just pointing out that it isn't a better deal at all. These low monthly rate deals are better for those that use more minutes.....I think the OP was looking for low minutes.

My kids each have a Tracfone. Check out the phones(certain ones come with double minutes). You can also look up promo codes on line that usually give you an extra 20-60 minutes if you use that code.

You can go to the website and see if they have an good deals online.

Good Luck :001_smile:

If you are a low minute user, I don't see any reason why tracfone should be .25c a minute. If you stick to your 800 min/year (with a year activation) for $100 it still only averages out to about 12c a minute with activation included. I have never seen a company with a monthly fee that averages out to lower that T-mobile or tracfone. How could $120 a year *just* for activation, PLUS .25c a minute for calls be cheaper than $100 a year, which includes activation and 800-1000 min for the whole year??? Help me out here. Doesn't compute. I'm not trying to dump on Consumer Cellular (I'm sure it's a good company), I'm just pointing out that it isn't a better deal at all. These low monthly rate deals are better for those that use more minutes.....I think the OP was looking for low minutes.

To me it's "better" (and I have done both Tracfone and Consumer Cellular) and to me the no contract monthly feature is what makes it worth it. I didn't have to keep track of minutes or add minutes every 90 days or whatever it is. Just pay the $10 a month and have service. I loved the convenience of that. Plus being able to upgrade or downgrade on demand (with no penalty) is also a great feature. For some the lowest cost is the most important thing, which is FINE! But for me low cost (even if not rock bottom) plus convenience was what I wanted. I just wanted to give CC a plug because they are unique in the industry and I appreciate their approach.

I have a Virgin Mobile phone that I only use when I go on trips by myself. They have the cheapest pre-paid service that I've found at only $20 every 3 months with no contract. The phones themselves can be had for as little as $15-$20, though I think they offer free phones on their site. The calls cost $0.20 per minute and the balance on your account rolls over every month.