Menu

Aha! So the "Forms Latin" from Memoria Press will ultimately replace Henle I...

Colleen

Just came across this tidbit of info and wanted to share for anyone else wondering about First Form Latin from Memoria Press. This from the MP forums:

"(O)ur new Forms Latin curriculum is going to be a replacement for the Henle I once all 4 forms are written. We will have First Form available for sale this summer and we are beta testing Second Form this fall. After that, Third Form and Fourth Form will come in consecutive years. These forms will be a complete Latin grammar, replacing the need for Henle I. Once a student has completed all 4 forms, he/she should be ready to move to the Henle II or another translation course."
Maybe I'm the last to realize this, I dunno. But I've been wondering why First Form Latin was produced, since it essentially replaces LC II, and didn't realize it was part of a bigger picture.

He said that they had realized a while ago that they need to revise LCII. I guess that the first X lessons are at a reasonable rate of learning speed, and then there is a big acceleration, and that a lot of buyers and students have found that acceleration unreasonable. So they would have expanded the back half of LCII to cover the same material more slowly.

But instead, as they had started working on the First Form Latin curriculum already, they decided to leave LCII alone for now to focus on the Form series.

I asked him what someone who is doing LCI as an older (7th grade) student should do after LCI. He said that First Form Latin would be an excellent choice, and probably better than LCII in that circumstance. For younger students, the optimal thing would be to do LCII until it accelerated and got very difficult, and then cut over to First Form Latin at that point, but that that is an expensive way to go, and that another reasonable option is to continue with LCII but slow down.

DD10 is through LCII, and we were going to start Ecce Romani when we return from vacation in 2 weeks -- Thanks:001_smile:

Where did you purchase Ecce? I was looking at the publisher's web site, trying to see more samples, and am somewhat confused as to what should be purchased ~ and how one goes about buying it. They seem to be selling the TM only to teachers/schools.

Well I certainly have to agree that LCII ramps up too quickly. Dd totally stalled out and we are finishing it this year with the Lingua Angelica. Now where do I go from there? Henle? First Form II? That is my question. I am toying with doing a combo of stuff since I currently own: Henle, LCI & II, Latin's Not So Tough and Wheelock's. I am thinking of having her learn Latin the way many a school boy in England with a tutor did. Just having her translate harder and harder stuff and working through the grammar as we did so. Decisions, decisions.