Menu

I don't understand "quick reply"..

so I can't post under someone else's response...it always goes to the bottom of the list? I thought I was replying to the person on whom I click "quick reply" but in the thread it looks like I am replying to the original person.

so I can't post under someone else's response...it always goes to the bottom of the list? I thought I was replying to the person on whom I click "quick reply" but in the thread it looks like I am replying to the original person.

I don't use quick reply. I couldn't understand its usefulness, so I just don't "go there." To reply to the OP, I hit the reply button at the top of the screen. To reply to a specific post within a thread, I usually quote that post (a whole 'nother function) so that it's clear what I'm replying to, and to whom. To reply to someone's post within a thread without quoting, you simply hit the Post Reply button at the bottom of the screen instead of the one at the top. At least, that's what I think -- seems to be working fairly well for me, though occasionally a reply will end up somewhere odd. Hence the value in quoting.

HTH,

Doran

I don't use quick reply. I couldn't understand its usefulness, so I just don't "go there." To reply to the OP, I hit the reply button at the top of the screen. To reply to a specific post within a thread, I usually quote that post (a whole 'nother function) so that it's clear what I'm replying to, and to whom.

:iagree:

I do this as well. I cannot figure out how the posts are supposed to line up in a thread, even using the other modes. So the quote function is my friend!

I played around with this down below. Here's what I figured out.

There is a display mode where you can click on the threaded button. I think, if you highlight one of the posts, you can directly hit reply to that one and it goes under that post (in threaded form). In regular old linear form, they just line up by the time they were posted.

If you want to reply to the original post, click on the reply button at the top of the thread. If you are replying to the final post, reply with the bottom button.

This is what I think I figured out so far (along with what the others have said as well).

Try a test post and play around with it -- maybe that will help you to figure it out!

I don't use the threaded mode. So when someone posts an "I agree" without a quote I have *zero* idea to whom they are speaking. Not quoting is fine if you are replying to the OP or just speaking to the thread in general but i agree with Doran that quoting is better if you are responding to something specific.