Menu

Trip to DC: recommendations

nnbmomof3

The Natural History Museum, especially, has hands-on sciency things for kids to do, in addition to dinosaurs, etc.! They'll love the airplanes hanging from the ceiling at the Air & Space Museum!

How about going up into the Washington Monument?

We contacted our congressman's office before the trip, and they arranged a private tour (& set us up to visit the Supreme Court & the Library of Congress). Maybe you could get a shortened version for your young kids' sakes.

We were just there in May with my ds 10, dd 7.5 and ds almost 4.

Hands down their 2 favorites were the Natural History Museum and the National Zoo. We also walked the "mall" and saw the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, and WWII memorial, we didn't realize the Vietnam memorial was right behind the trees near the Lincoln Memorial so we missed that.

Hands down their least favorite was the Air and Space museum. They couldn't wait to get out of there. My kids aren't really into airplanes and most of it was reading about what things were, where as the Natural history museum has lots of things that are instantly recognizable ie: animals, rocks and gem stones, mummy etc.

Next time we drive up there we want to see the American History Museum and the Postal museum.

Since you don't have alot of time and have such young kids, here's what I've found after living in DC for a year and having over 200 nites of visitors ... less is more!

It'll be beautiful in October. Picnic on the mall and gaze at the Wash Mon (tix are available online ahead of time for a small charge and I recommend that) and the Capitol at the same time. Do one hall in the Nat History Museum (could be gems - our favorite - or mummies) - too much museum time and kids get a glazed look IMO. Take a boat ride on the canal in Georgetown - pulled by mules like in the old days. Check out the snipers on top of the White House roof. Go to lunch in a tavern. Put some leaves you found near the White House in a notebook to dry. Maybe go to a free show at the Kennedy Performing Arts Center - they are every day at 6pm and some are very kid friendly.

Now don't walk too much or the kids will be crabby - everything is much farther than you think - if you can bring a wagon/stroller for the younger ones - definitely do it. Razor scooter for the 4th grader might be good too. I know some families, but with slightly older kids, have rented bikes and peddled around all day on those.

You could read one of the many books on the Obama's new dog. You could also do a driveby of their school - Sidwell Friends if you want and you have a car. If you're feeling homeschoolish, get a Jr Ranger book from the park station near the Lincoln Monument (don't want to miss that one anyway) ... great for the 4th grader. I love those things.

One more thing - food is sparse on the Mall. You've got vendor cars and NPS kiosks and then you've got the Museum offerings. Sort of not good food and/or expensive. Who wants to spend 50 bucks at McDonalds (we have!)? The McD's is at the Air & Space by the way. You also can't bring food in the Museums ... rather limiting with a family. Our best rec is the Food Court at the Regan Building - Awesome selection to make everyone happy altho it is a bit out of the way. Have a great time and feel free to email me if you want more of my opinions!:glare:

I posted a trip report after getting suggestions for my quick trip in Aug. Here is the copy of my post:

Thanks for the help planning on the boards last week! I took my special needs 11yos for a quick trip before school starts. I'll take my homeschooled children during the school year and look more thoroughly through the museums. We stayed in the Cleveland Park neighborhood with my sister in her apt.

We drove up early Friday for 6 hours and went to the Zoo on Friday afternoon. We ate out at a great little place in my sister's NW neighborhood called 2Amy's Pizza

http://www.2amyspizza.com/

Saturday we took the Old Trolley Tour. That was so worth it for us!

http://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/

We got off at -

-Union Station (where we bought our tickets)

-The Lincoln Memorial

-Jefferson Memorial

-Air and Space and Indian Museum (spent 1 1/2 hours in each of those) and then we walked around the Mall - and got great pics with the backgrounds of the Castle, Washington Monument and Capitol there.

-White House South Lawn

-Natural History

Plus, we drove by and saw most important buildings and attractions we didn't stop at. It was narrated and totally worth the cost for us bc I have trouble walking from MS and my son has special needs. We met my sis's fiance for dinner Sat. night in Georgetown at Martin's Tavern (where JFK proposed to Jackie they said!)

http://www.martins-tavern.com/

On Sunday morning, we went to the North Lawn of the White House for pics and the Museum of American history and back to the Museum of Natural History for another 1 1/2 hours each. Then, we drove home for 71/2 hours!!! Got stuck in traffic!

I can't believe how much fun we had! It was so worth it and I'm glad I took him seperately so he could see everything too! For my other children, I'll add art museums and the National Archives - plus we'll spend more time reading in the museums. I also want to at least try to arrange tours through my congressman. But, it would be hard to beat this trip!

I have to see I'm surprised to see so many recommend the Zoo. Most places have a zoo and the National Zoo is really not that great compared to other zoos I've been to. Considering all the other things there are to do, I definately wouldn't do that.

My kids love the Natural History, National Gallery of Art, American history (although we haven't been since it reopened - except to pop in to see the Star-Spangled Banner. Definately worth the pop-in for that)

Another thing that doesn't take long my kids love is the National Archives. Even my youngest appreciated seeing the Declaration and Constitution. My older two enjoyed the other documents that were there as well. It always moves me to tears to stand in front of those fundamental documents.

I'd stay away from trying to do a White House tour. I haven't been in years but I hear it's down to almost nothing. You used to be able to see almost everything except the private residence. Now it's a few rooms.

The Holocaust museum in amazing but not really appropriate for your age kids. My oldest has been but I had my dad take her since I didn't think my younger two could handle it.

Most kids like Air and Space. Be aware that there are two sections to this museum. One is on the mall - downtown DC. The other is out near Dulles Airport and is called Udvar-Hazy. This is not close and there is not public transportation to get there. I don't know if there are shuttles etc. If you have a car it's an easy drive but you do have to pay for parking. The Dulles wing has larger pieces and an IMAX theatre.

I saw that some people mentioned the Spy museum. I just wanted to mention that it isn't free. Since most of the museums in DC are free I thought I should point that out.

Heather