Menu

reasonably priced greeting cards (keeping the tradition going)

The dollar store cards are tacky, at least the ones in our town are very cheap looking. I'm all thumbs when it comes to crafts, but is there some way I can dress them up?

Is there a division of Halmark, American Greetings, etc. that sells quality cards that I can buy for less somewhere?

I've been using close-out cards that I picked up at a thrift store for the past three years and want to keep up my tradition of sending cards to our elderly relatives, but I just can't bring myself to send something that is tacky looking.

The dollar store cards are tacky, at least the ones in our town are very cheap looking. I'm all thumbs when it comes to crafts, but is there some way I can dress them up?

Is there a division of Halmark, American Greetings, etc. that sells quality cards that I can buy for less somewhere?

I've been using close-out cards that I picked up at a thrift store for the past three years and want to keep up my tradition of sending cards to our elderly relatives, but I just can't bring myself to send something that is tacky looking.

Are you referring to holiday cards, or birthday/get well type cards? I know our Michael's craft store sells card boxes with a selection of cards inside for various occasions, and they're generally quite nice. They won't all be great for elderly relatives (some are kids' cards, some are new baby, etc.), but depending on what you need them for and the price you find, you might be able to save that way.

I'll be watching this thread too. I have such a problem paying those ridiculous card prices, but cards are definitely what's "done" in our family. I'd love some cheaper alternatives too.

I buy cards all over the place. The large boxes of mixed cards at Costco have some nice ones. TJ Maxx, Ross, Tuesday Morning and other discount stores have different boxed cards all the time, so it can be a good place to look instead of a store like Target that carries the same boxes all the time. It is really hit and miss at those stores though. I also like cards from these stores because they aren't common, so I can hope the person doesn't get multiples of the same card. I see packs of mixed cards at Goodwill sometimes too. If you like finding a bargain, that may be a place to start.

WalMart has some that are cheaper... they are plain but not tacky like the dollar stores.

We get cards in Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon... they are in a box for around $10 and very colorful. We can use them "as is" or I can add a few embellishments to make it fun and more personal. Very cute & sturdy cards (not flimsy).

We also have a MailBoxes, Etc (or UPS Store) where we ship packages & make copies etc. They will (sometimes) have left over colorful envelops for a nickel or so. We watch for them & get a $2-3 worth at a time. Then I can take plain white or beige cardstock, cut & fold, and make my own little greeting cards (stamps, stickers, die cuts, kids drawings... anything that fits the occassion).

Edited by Dirtroad

Our Costco just got some of their Christmas stuff in recently...those pretty handmade boxed cards were there. They had cute gift tags, too, which could be cannibalized and used to decorate plain folded cards from Michaels, etc.

I'm glad we're not the only family that does cards. Well, to be accurate, my parents do cards in a major way. It has been a beef with my husband, in fact.

I'm planning a baby shower with about 40 invites, and was knocked over by the price of invites. So I went down to Michael's, bought a package of 50 plain white tent cards and envelopes, some stickers and cheap scrapbooking paper, and I'm going to make my own. Time consuming, but better than spending $50 on invitations!!!!

The cards at Target (Carlton) are surprisingly nice, now...in fact, I rarely go to Hallmark anymore, and I'm kind of a card snob.

The cards at our Target are expensive, IMO. I needed a card for my dad's b'day last week, and literally could not find one for less than $3.59. I know that's not a lot to spend on my dad...but it just seemed ridiculous for a small-ish card.

I love Papyrus cards and sometimes buy them because they aren't more expensive than any others these days... :(

I knew you ladies would have some great ideas.

which could be cannibalized and used to decorate plain folded cards from Michaels, ......So I went down to Michael's, bought a package of 50 plain white tent cards and envelopes, some stickers and cheap scrapbooking paper, and I'm going to make my own. .....

LOL I hope you're going to put images up on your blog of the shower cards.

I knew you ladies would have some great ideas.

LOL I hope you're going to put images up on your blog of the shower cards.

Did you think I was going to use the Christmas cards to decorate the baby shower invites?? Now THAT would require some creativity!!!!

It's actually an "under the sea" themed shower, as the twins' nursery is shades of blue and green with cute sea creatures. I'll post pix (only if they turn out well!!!!!!) :lol::lol: