Menu

Can food carry flu germs?

If one is contagious (with the flu, for example :glare:) can those germs be passed along via food prepared by the flu-ish person?

I'm scheduled to deliver a meal to a new mom and her family tomorrow. I'm coming down with something...seems flu-ish. I would NEVER think of coming in contact with them. I would probably put the stuff on the porch, ring the bell to let them know I'd delivered it, and leave. But is this even too risky? I think I know the answer, but it's so late in the game to cancel!

I know there are always those warnings on the news when a food service worker had hepatitis, etc. but that is from poor hand washing right?, but what about the flu?

Edited by BikeBookBread

If one is contagious (with the flu, for example :glare:) can those germs be passed along via food prepared by the flu-ish person?

I'm scheduled to deliver a meal to a new mom and her family tomorrow. I'm coming down with something...seems flu-ish. I would NEVER think of coming in contact with them. I would probably put the stuff on the porch, ring the bell to let them know I'd delivered it, and leave. But is this even too risky? I think I know the answer, but it's so late in the game to cancel!

I know there are always those warnings on the news when a food service worker had hepatitis, etc. but that is from poor hand washing right?, but what about the flu?

I'm guessing it's possible, but I'd tell the new mom the situation and let her decide if I didn't know for sure. If I were the new mom, I'd say no thanks. Newborns have virtually no immune system. Better safe than sorry.

I gave the stomach flu to ten people via fruit salad at a Thanksgiving dinner once! :eek: Apparently, I was breathing on the fruit as I cut it. If you make something that is cooked and you hold your breath as you take it out of the oven, you should be fine, but I wouldn't make anything raw. Better yet, try to trade days with someone else who is making her a meal or have take out food or a take and bake pizza delivered to her!

Yes.

The risk is lower than through aerosol transmission (sneezing, coughing, etc.), but there is still a risk.

Edited by Perry

Personally I would be more than happy to cook or call for take out if the person bringing food were sick. I would be happy that the person thought to call and cancel too.

I would be overjoyed (as the mom of a newborn) if the food preparer called and told me they had the flu as opposed to bringing me food and giving me the bug (or even taking the chance). I bet she will be happy you called!

I wholeheartedly agree. Call and explain the situation to her. I'm sure she'll be very happy that you were considerate enough to give her the heads up. If it were me, I'd MUCH rather make my own meal that risk getting the flu with a newborn in the house.

I've been a bit off, and I made dinner for a friend with a newborn yesterday. I washed and washed my hands, used handsanitizer, and was very careful not to taste anything while I was cooking.

I don't have any coughing or sneezing or runny nose, though, and I did tell my friend what was going on. She, a nurse, didn't seem concerned.