Menu

Classical Writing Aesop

RanchGirl

do I need the Core, the workbooks (A&B) and the instructor's guides (A&B)? Or can I just purchase workbook A and IG A and no core?

The core is the main program, I think that is where you should start purchase-wise. I also used (and use with Homer) the instructor guides and workbooks. The instructor guides are not like Teacher's Editions; they lay out lesson plans and give the answers, but they don't give the main material of what it is you're studying and how to go about teaching that to your student, kwim? It's like the core is the main book, the workbooks are some drills, and the instructor guides really are like an answer key (with some additional planning help in there)..

You definitely need the core, that is the meat of the program. I just used the IG as it had everything laid out for me as well as the weekly models. I didn't use the workbooks because of finances and we managed okay. There were some confusing times with not using the workbooks but I tried to fill in the blanks on my own. I have been trying to figure out if I will buy the workbooks when I use Aesop with my ds (next year) but I think I will muddle through again without them. :001_huh:

You need the Core, and then if you want to design your own selections and so on you can. Or you can get the IG and student book and use their selections and lessons. But it's designed around the Core, and so that you can do it yourself if you want.

For us, I bought all 3--I didn't have the time or expertise to design my own lessons and select new stories.

Looking for feedback (experiences, pros/cons?) and also wondering how it works -- do I need the Core, the workbooks (A&B) and the instructor's guides (A&B)? Or can I just purchase workbook A and IG A and no core?

Tana,

Yes you need them all. I don't use the Student books, but I still buy them for a couple reasons. One is that I am highly visual and it helps me see what is going on, two is that while I don't use them, they reference what pages in the Core to read to the child so they understand what is expected of them.

I adore CW. It allows the child to be creative as they want, teaches them how to use grammar to rewrite (this is more Homer), and add descriptive derail (Aesop). I am very pleased with the results so far. My oldest loves to change the people and setting while keeping the moral. My 2nd dd I know will probably not be quite as creative and just do a straight rewrite. Either is acceptable.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the link to the CW forums!

They have a read-only section there about placing students & it answered my questions. Thanks again.

I didn't see your question the first time, but yes you would want to go with the Older Beginners set, which covers Aesop and Homer on a single year. Given that is a lot of ground to cover it would probably leave your head spinning at times, but once you got through it the pace would slow a bit. :D

The reason why I say it would leave your head spinning is CW builds skills step by step. For instance you start out learning to change tense with just words, then the next week you are changing tense with both words and with sentences. The next week you do so with words, sentences and paragraphs while at the same time you are now learning to change between plural and singular with words. I actually think they cover singular plural before tense, but you get the idea. It is very structured and logical in its movement, but there is a lot of movement in the program so there really is no kicking back and doing the same thing week after week. It will keep you hopping.

Heather