Menu

Thought you all would be interested in this little exchange ...

I can see your point, but I disagree. One major reason we homeschool is to let our dc learn in a peaceful environment. Lots of children have difficulty concentrating in an overstimulating environment, with limited access to the outdoors and fresh air. Add to that the poor quality processed foods served for lunch, very limited bathroom breaks, non-existent downtime, and often subpar environmental conditions in most classrooms, and it isn't hard to see why so many children are out-of-sorts, tired, and run-down at school. These conditions can often lead a child to behavioral problems. I've known several children who've developed chronic stomachaches and/or headaches by 1st and 2nd grade.

I've also seen several children whose behavioral problems disappeared once they left the school environment to homeschool.

:iagree:

This is my issue. My son was pulled because of behavior issues in school. So are all you saying I should have left him in and let the school professional's deal with it? I'm not understanding some of this - its like we're saying that those are SOME cases, but not the majority (which I do agree with).. but we shouldn't base our homeschool views on them. I'm taken aback by the idea that taking my child out due to behavior problems was inappropriate..the schools see it all the time and we parents don't realize how hard it is, so we end up sending them back.. and the homeschoolers.. well those people aren't like us. Wow. Here I was thinking I was helping the school environment (the teacher, the other kids in class, the therapists with their work load) and helping my child (giving him a one on one, flexible environment). Guess I was wrong on all accounts.

BTW, my child is performing amazingly well... the above poster was correct - his behavior problems were enhanced due to the distractions and other issues presented in the classroom.

I think it depends on whether the parents have or do the research to get the right skills to work with children with tough behavior problems. All things being equal (the parent seeking advice through books or a counselor or psychiatrist and then treating it like a job where you really do need to be consistent) then the parent is going to win. After all, in that situation, the parent can provide a consistency not only for the school hours but 24/7.

But that presumes that the parent really does follow through. Most of us agree (at least it seems like it on this board!) that a parent does need to have some follow through to teach our children at home - versus just not schooling them. It is just the same with children with behavior problems - you can't bring them home to work on those problems and then not work on them at all.

Some classroom teachers balk at the idea of being able to teach a substantive day of homeschool and still being finished in about 3 or 4 hours. I guess they don't realize (I did!) that if you take out passing periods, lunchtime, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the 20 minutes per class period getting obnoxious kids to be quiet you can cover everything in about that amount of time. There is SO MUCH TIME WASTED in a classroom setting.

My kids still have to eat lunch, put materials away and get out new materials and settle disagreements between kids.

I agree that there is a ton of wasted time in schools. But I struggle to get done everything I'd like to cover between 8am and 3pm.

I don't know.. the kids I know at school who had serious behavior problems which were enhanced by parental neglect, wouldn't be taken out of school by their parents to "homeschool".. they love having free babysitting.
The parents don't really have any choice. These kids are taken out at the last minute to avoid expulsion.

I truly hate this "us versus them" mentality. I think both sides often (;)) look for offense. I'll be the first to say that having been a classroom teacher makes me NOT want to have my child in public school. However, I still don't see the great offense committed by the author of the post quoted in the OP. While I can see why "angels" offended some, I'm not seeing "often" as offensive. "Often" does not mean most. I suspect in her school it does happen often. None of us are in our shoes, so we'll never know for sure, but I do know that there are some schools where it does happen quite frequently.

The parents don't really have any choice. These kids are taken out at the last minute to avoid expulsion.

That's true for some, but in my experience, more often the problem is that the parents don't like the way a teacher or administrator handles a situation, so they pull the child out of school. Frequently, within no time, they put the child back in school. This didn't happen at all in the last school in which I taught, but it did happen pretty often (or so it seemed) in the school in which I taught prior to that. Perhaps it was because the demographics were different, and I don't mean in terms of race; I mean socio-economically. I also saw it happen more at the middle school level than at the high school level.

That's true for some, but in my experience, more often the problem is that the parents don't like the way a teacher or administrator handles a situation, so they pull the child out of school. Frequently, within no time, they put the child back in school.

This is what we see, too. They get angry and threaten to homeschool. The school calls their bluff. They don't last long, and the child is back in the school.

I'm a former PS teacher. This is the "homeschooling" that PS teachers and adminstrators most often see around here.

The thing is that the PS teachers and administrators probably don't get to see the homeschoolers that are well-behaved and intelligent, because we don't need to use them for anything.

My kids still have to eat lunch, put materials away and get out new materials and settle disagreements between kids.

I agree that there is a ton of wasted time in schools. But I struggle to get done everything I'd like to cover between 8am and 3pm.

I agree. Homeschoolers sometimes get caught up in the "only 20 minutes of one-on-one attention per day" statistic or whatever it is that floats around, and they are then suprised that it takes so much time to educate children. Sure, schools with poor results waste this much time. But I have been in good classrooms where children are really learning (which should be our comparison, as that is what we want,) and the children were getting 45 minutes of meaningful instruction per subject.

:iagree:

This is my issue. My son was pulled because of behavior issues in school. So are all you saying I should have left him in and let the school professional's deal with it? I'm not understanding some of this - its like we're saying that those are SOME cases, but not the majority (which I do agree with).. but we shouldn't base our homeschool views on them. I'm taken aback by the idea that taking my child out due to behavior problems was inappropriate..the schools see it all the time and we parents don't realize how hard it is, so we end up sending them back.. and the homeschoolers.. well those people aren't like us. Wow. Here I was thinking I was helping the school environment (the teacher, the other kids in class, the therapists with their work load) and helping my child (giving him a one on one, flexible environment). Guess I was wrong on all accounts.

BTW, my child is performing amazingly well... the above poster was correct - his behavior problems were enhanced due to the distractions and other issues presented in the classroom.

Rachel! I'm so sorry if I gave that impression. I'm of course not referring to loving parents like you who decide to homeschool ... for whatever reason!

The thing is that the PS teachers and administrators probably don't get to see the homeschoolers that are well-behaved and intelligent, because we don't need to use them for anything.

That is true. When I was teaching, one homeschooled kid started attending our school in the middle of his 7th grade year (I taught him in 8th). He was awesome! His mother felt that he had gotten beyond her academically, so she decided to put him into school. For a while there, the teachers with whom I worked thought that homeschoolers were the best ever. :D Basically, viewpoints are formed based on experiences.

Originally Posted by rlowetx

I am so glad that your son is doing well! Your situation is not the type with which teachers get frustrated. You totally did the right thing.

In my own case, there were several reasons I originally decided to homeschool. One was because my son was a bit hyperactive (no diagnosis, and luckily I figured out that certain food additives were a major cause of the problem), and having been a teacher, I knew all too well that classroom settings weren’t good for some children. I was afraid that my son wouldn't be able for function well in such a setting, and even his piano teacher agreed (she is awesome, by the way). I have no doubt that I made the right decision for him.

Edited by JudyJudyJudy