Menu

Help me think of books for my kid book club, please!

kokotg

I volunteered to run a kids' book club at our local homeschool center for ages (approximately) 6 through 10. The first meeting is tomorrow, and they read From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. And then tomorrow I'm going to let them vote on the next book--either Cricket in Times Square or Stuart Little.

But I need some help coming up with choices for the rest of the year. It's a pretty broad age range, so I need books that will interest older kids but still be accessible to younger kids (reading level isn't especially important; parents can read the books to the kids who aren't strong readers yet). I also need books that lend themselves to discussion and analysis (I'm doing a lot of introduction to literary terms and criticism kind of stuff). And then also a mix of male and female protagonists and no books so "girly" or "boyish" that half the group will likely hate them.

I have some ideas, but I'd love to have a bigger list to pick from, and I know you all will have great suggestions. TIA!

Have you read the book Deconstructing Penguins? It's all about teaching literary analysis to that age group. It includes book lists and gives you some great discussion questions for several of the books. The author led book clubs at the library for kids in that age group for several years and wrote the book based on his experience. It would be a good place to start. :001_smile:

Have you read the book Deconstructing Penguins? It's all about teaching literary analysis to that age group. It includes book lists and gives you some great discussion questions for several of the books. The author led book clubs at the library for kids in that age group for several years and wrote the book based on his experience. It would be a good place to start. :001_smile:

I have read it--thanks! That's one of the reasons I picked Mixed-up Files to start with...I pulled some ideas for tomorrow from the section on it in the book.

I have read it--thanks! That's one of the reasons I picked Mixed-up Files to start with...I pulled some ideas for tomorrow from the section on it in the book.

I should have asked, I knew there was some sort of connection between Mixed-up Files and Deconstructing Penguins....:lol:

I am reading Stuart Little right now with my dd5, we have 2 chapters to go and are loving it!

As for other titles, I have no idea. I hope you get some good replies, I would like to add some more to my list as well. :001_smile:

For our book club (we just started in the latter half of last year) we have done Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat and Anne of Green Gables. We also did Underground to Canada by Barbara Smucker. This was a bit too much for the youngers in our group so we did an accompanying picture book ( Follow the Drinking Gourd) as well for them.

I'm not sure I'd give kids that age a lot of choice, except to maybe tell me what types of books they enjoy. How can they know a book is wonderful until they read it?!

I might have at least a couple books just for laughs. I've done a Venn diagram comparing different funny books with ds, which helped bring out some things. I'm thinking books like --

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Pippi

Amelia Bedelia (these look easy but actually require some adult guidance with vocabulary in order to get the real fun)

Hank the Cowdog (books like this go better if you read the first part aloud & ham it up, or listen to an audio at the beginning)

Things like that. I actually find these sorts of books referenced in other places, so it's good to be familiar with them.

Julie