Menu

Is Apologia's General Science ok for grades 3, 5, 6 ?...

Whitneyz

That first module is a booger. Take extra time with that one and/or work in the scientists throughout with added biographies etc.

I do think though that it's worth a try especially if you're willing to spread it over the next two years. I'm pretty sure my 4th grader could handle it. She remembers a BIG portion of everything she reads or has read to her though (80% or better) and I don't really think that's typical.

I would suggest considering the notebooking activities with younger kids for added visual appeal. Like these.

Maybe you could try picking one module out of it and forming a unit study around it. Check out grade level appropriate books on that subject and find clip art from the internet to jazz up some cute notebook pages or lapbooks. Some of the information is just *too* advanced for them to really get it, but you might end up being surprised by the stuff they do retain. That age would probably enjoy the module on machines. They could do experiments in building their own designs of simple machines. (Lots of fun if you have K'nex or Legos) And hey, your oldest will be ready when they are old enough to do the book as is.

Someone posted a free on-line science curriculum for grammar stage that looked good a while back. It had student and parent books to download and print out. If you do a search for free science curriculum, I bet you could find it. If you can't, pm me and I'll try to find it for you.

My 7th grader is doing General Science this year. I agree with the others; it would be too much for your dc's ages.

I wanted to read it aloud to them and do a lot of it orally. We would do some of the experiments and keep a notebook of things we learned. It might take us more than a year.

Thx,

Whitney

Whitney,

I tried it with my oldest at the end of 5th, and while she could have continued I felt it would have taken a lot of the joy out of science if I made her do all the On Your Own and test work, yet if I didn't having her jump into the upper levels for that was going to be a shock. In the end I set it aside and decided to work on stuff she finds more fun. We will get back to it in a year or so, or we will just skip it.

Can you, yes. But why?

Heather